Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The VP of Government Proposal Solutions and Strategy, Behavioral Health is an exciting and vital role responsible for collaborating with government sector clients, behavioral health partners and other business segments to produce leading behavioral and holistic solutions for procurements that will enable the organization to become the trusted behavioral benefit partner organization. The VP of Government Proposal Solutions and Strategy is continuously reviewing and evaluating the portfolio of offerings with key data and insights to determine how to solution and strategy to best serve our customers. This role will also interface with key stake holders and providers to understand the individual goals of the markets we serve.
The VP of Government Solutions and Strategy has an understanding of risk benefit design, management and pricing along with deep knowledge of government programs, inclusive of Medicaid, Medicare, and other federal programs (e.g., TRICARE). This leader will work closely with the functional areas and across business segments to help guide decisions. This leader will ensure project management, solution implementation, and staff management to be sure we are effectively meeting customer requirements during the end-to-end procurement process.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Plan/Implement/Manage Operations Programs and Strategies
- Manage solutioning for the RFP pipeline of C&S, Medicare, Direct to Government, SGS and OptumServe, approximately 3 billion in annual total contract value revenue potential
- Analyze markets, RFPs, and contracts to define customer requirements and Optum products/capabilities that are actionable for implementation and ongoing operations
- Lead a team of directors in the creation of behavioral health solutions and strategy supporting the growth teams for Medicaid (C&S, direct) in over 35 states and the District of Columbia (D.C.), Medicare (individual retiree) in 40 states and D.C., and federal government for customers nationally including the U.S. territories
- Manage a multidisciplinary team of experts to create synergies and cross-functional support to ensure comprehensive analysis of markets, RFPs, and contracts to define customer requirements and develop market leading solutions
- Provide ongoing consultation, supervision, and escalated issue resolution for the multidisciplinary team in support of winning proposal solutions during the RFP procurement cycle
- Assist internal and/or external business partners with completion of tasks and resolution of issues and problems with solution implementation
- Establish and implement internal and/or external service level agreements, intersegment agreements, and statements of work in order to ensure clarity in the work to be delivered and the ability to monitor and measure program performance (e.g., quality, effectiveness)
- Lead RFP and amendment staffing plan and solution revision efforts with operations, pricing and finance to meet budget requirement and ensure market competitive bid pricing
- Work with functional area leaders to identify and/or secure resources (e.g., funding, staffing, real estate) required to implement programs
- Review, create, train others on, and maintain workflows pertaining to the RFP solution process to ensure they are up-to-date and operationally efficient
- Communicate with and help internal and/or external partners interpret contractual requirements in order to ensure effective problem resolution and strategy implementation; engage compliance and/or legal counsel when appropriate
- Provide input to internal and/or external stakeholders (e.g., sales, UHC, vendors) when called upon in order to drive effective business plan and sales strategy development
Monitor/Evaluate Operations Program and Strategy Performance
- Request and receive relevant performance data from internal partners, review for adequacy, and include in proposal responses as applicable
- Manipulate provided data into applicable tools and reports in order to facilitate performance analysis and presentation to internal partners and external customers
- Incorporate operations program performance information into RFP strategic planning and escalate to operations leadership any performance concerns that may adversely impact successful procurements
- Ensure that solution commitments in awarded RFP proposals and contractual agreements are documented and provided through transition meetings to appropriate functional area leaders and them implementation program managers to fulfill RFP/contractual agreements
- Analyze operational performance on relevant criteria (e.g., quality indicators, performance guarantees and/or incentives) for use with procurements
Build/Maintain/Manage Relationship with Operations Stakeholders
- Directly engage in and provide oversight of staff as they conduct deep dive market reviews for each assigned RFP opportunity with relevant internal and/or external stakeholders to identify opportunities for market improvements related to behavioral health products and capabilities
- Participate in oral presentations and demonstrations with potential customers as a part of the procurement process
- Provide leadership and consultative support to OBH and other business segments within UHG regarding BH strategies in an effort to improve their business development opportunities
- Identify and engage external vendors through the Enterprise Sourcing & Procurement (ES&P) process to meet customer-specific requirements or provide market leading solutions through collaborative partnerships
- Ensure relevant internal and/or external stakeholders (e.g., vendors, implementation program managers) are provided with correct and/or updated processes, programs and/or policies committed to in RFP responses and educate them on the content provided
- This role will provide thought leadership on winning solutions while interfacing with all levels of leadership with Optum and UHC
Support/Develop/Ensure Compliance with Operations Policies, Procedures, and Regulations
- Demonstrate understanding of and adhere to relevant policies, procedures, and regulations that impact new and existing business procurements
- Stay abreast of changes and/or updates in relevant policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure they are accurately reflected within bids
- Train and educate internal stakeholders on relevant policies and procedures that are incorporated into RFP solutions
- Provide input into, develop, and /or modify policies and procedures to align with customer requirements detailed within RFP pro forma contracts
- Educate direct staff on the use of relevant websites in order to obtain up to date policies, guidelines, procedures, and regulations
Review/Manage/Drive Operations Efficiency, Quality, and Financial Performance
- Utilize stakeholder input to help shape, implement and advise on improvements in operational quality and financial performance that generate qualitative and quantitative outcomes for inclusion in RFP proposals
- Ensure internal partners and/or external vendors are aware of and adhering to business and contractual agreements through contractual and proposal reviews as a part of RFP reprocurements
- Collaborate with Government Client Solutions leadership on utilizing relevant systems and tools to identify and/or test opportunities for efficiency improvements and provide feedback to operations leaders of possible modifications
- Demonstrate understanding of budgeting and forecasting tools, terminology, and processes
- Work with relevant internal partners (e.g., Finance, Underwriting) to identify resources requirements and/or create budgets and forecasts
- Review and assign projects/initiatives to direct staff based on resource capacity, capability, and expertise that better position OBH as a market leader in behavioral health solutions
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare
- Experience in a large, complex organization that required working across functional boundaries and leading cross-functional groups through influence
- Understanding of risk benefit design, management and pricing along with deep knowledge of government programs, inclusive of Medicaid, Medicare, and other federal programs (e.g., TRICARE)
- Demonstrate understanding of state procurement
- Ability to travel, nationwide, up to 25% of the time
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 3+ years of experience in behavioral health and/or related field
- Experience managing solutioning for the RFP pipeline of C&S, Medicare, Direct to Government, SGS, etc.
- Financial acumen, exposure to cost solutioning
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, analytical, and listening skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve goals in a matrix environment
- Ability to work with and present to all levels of leadership with in Optum and Government Sector clients
© 2019 OptumCare. All rights reserved.
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both its owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare’s support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine provided by the medical practices of any of their physicians.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $134,200 to $257,700. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $134,200 to $257,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.