Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As a part of OptumHealth, Optum Behavioral is seeking a Vice President, Behavioral Government Product Development.
This leader will be responsible for creating the vision, product strategy, priorities, and executing the end-to-end development of Optum Behavioral Health assets in the Government markets, including Medicaid and Medicare. Once developed the candidate will be responsible for managing the day-to-day performance, execution, and expansion of the business. The goal is to create differentiating behavioral health products and services that will help Optum Behavioral Health grow and expand scope in the government markets. The position will work closely with the Optum Behavioral Government channel leaders, broader Behavioral product organization, functional partners, UnitedHealthcare and other key stakeholders to align on strategy, create a multi-year plan, and mobilize cross functional teams across UHG and the external markets as needed to bring the vision to life.
The candidate will need to understand the dynamics of the UHG enterprise and of the external marketplace (including customers, competitors, providers, partners, government sector, consumers, etc.) to create a strong vision, business plan, and priorities, as well as generate the support of senior leaders to secure investments and capital to enable the plan. In addition, the position will execute the strategic priorities which will require a broad skillset including a strong leadership presence and bias to action, strategic relationship management, financial management and deployment of capital, the ability to navigate the Enterprise, work across broad functional teams, and communicate and partner across the executive team to deliver on the vision.
The candidate must have demonstrated business success and a proven track record of leadership, new business, product, and capability development leading to the creation of growth and sustainable businesses in Medicaid and Medicare markets. The Vice President of Behavioral Government Product Development will have end to end accountability to create and fully execute the plan and will be accountable to owning the outcome including the successful establishment and sustainability of all new business opportunities. This position reports directly to the SVP, Population Health and Behavioral Health Product and is a key senior leadership role within Health Solutions and Behavioral Health.
If you are located in Minnesota, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Establishing a transformational vision, strategy, priorities, business case, and plan to support behavioral health product growth and expansion in the Medicaid and Medicare markets
- Execute the end-to-end development of targeted priorities focused on growth areas including but not limited to foster care, substance use disorders, severe mental illness, intellectual developmental disorders, and youth mental health needs
- Managing in market products and services, leading the Behavioral Health Product Business
- Create tight alignment and partnership with the behavioral health government channel team, key behavioral health partners, UnitedHealthcare stakeholders, external market partners and customers
- Maximize team talent by optimizing existing product team and supplementing with additional talent and expertise. Provide hands-on leadership to a direct team of leaders and individual contributors
- Represent Optum as a key behavioral industry thought leader in the market
- Focus on helping the health system to work better for high needs, complex populations
- Create a growth focused team of teams model (establishing a direct team and working with others cross functionally across Optum Behavioral Health, Health Solutions, and UHG Enterprise)
- Spending time in the market understanding the landscape (customers, competitors, providers, partners, government sector, consumers, etc) as well as time internal to UHG executing, developing, and implementing. Including ensuring performance and sustainability of whatever is developed/built
- Ensure that business, products, capabilities meet established short and long-range goals
- Partner with other senior leaders and teams across the organization to advance partnerships and priorities
- Work with executives to gain support, build momentum, enable business cases, secure and manage investments/capital to execute the strategy
- Cultivate relationships with key external opinion leaders and strategic partners to support Optum Behavioral product objectives
- Significantly contribute to innovation, continuous improvement, and other organizational change
- Build a product culture which embraces change, transformation, and new business opportunities and continuous improvement
- Self-starter with the demonstrated ability to transform businesses through business, product, and capability development (From initial vision all the way through execution and the establishment of successful and sustainable new businesses)
- A proven track record of execution: building, deploying, delivering, and successfully navigating within a large, complex organization
- Experience creating products and services focused on people with complex healthcare needs
- Demonstrated ability to create clarity and focus in ambiguity
- A solid action orientation and ability to drive teams in a large, complex environment
- The ability to work nimbly across multiple projects, with fast-paced, iterative product development cycles
- Ability to work effectively with senior leaders/executives as well as cross functional teams at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to manage product economics to drive both top line and profitable growth
- The flexibility to quickly adapt and produce in a rapidly changing environment, meeting aggressive market and customer expectations
- Proven ability to build relationships and work effectively as a leader and peer with other senior functional managers including Technology, Strategy, Clinical, Operations, Sales, Finance, Legal, and Business Development
- Demonstrated track record of building, mentoring, and leading a product team to deliver consistent and predictable execution
- Demonstrated strong people management and influencing skills with proven ability and enthusiasm to lead, motivate, inspire, develop, and encourage people, from C-level suite to individual contributors in multiple functional areas
- Passion to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Four-year college degree or a professional clinical degree
- 15+ years of health care industry experience in one or more of the following areas: product development, commercialization, and/or business management
- 10+ years of experience working with health care providers and the health care delivery system
- 7+ years of Medicaid and Medicare market experience
- Demonstrated experience of end-to-end accountability creating a product plan and delivery of successful operational outcomes
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience as a Director or greater responsibility in a Behavioral Health setting
What makes an Optum organization different?
- We understand the significance of Value Base Care and our power as change agents to positively impact health disparities and iniquities
- Optum embraces inclusion and diversity and understands the significance of individual unique strengths and attributes
- We are influencing change on a national scale while still maintaining the culture and community of our local care organizations
- Competitive Base Salary
- Annual Short-Term Incentives
- Annual UHG Equity Award
- Health, Dental Vision Plans
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- 401K w/company match
- Additional benefits as outlined in Optum Leader Benefits PDF
- Work as an integral leader within a Fortune 500 company that is changing the face of healthcare
- Remote employee option
- Career Growth and Development support
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.