Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
As a Passivation and Doping Process Engineer within the SunPower R&D team, you will be responsible for passivated contact and emitter formation innovations to lower the cost structure and enhance the performance and reliability of SunPower’s current and next-generation solar cell technologies. You will work in all facets of photovoltaic device processing and integration related to thermal process technology. This will require a solid understanding of semiconductor physics. You will be primarily responsible for developing and optimizing robust processes through rigorous characterization and statistical validation before ramping them into high-volume manufacturing. In addition, you will be responsible for initializing new concepts and contributing to technology roadmaps. You will team with equipment, integration and reliability engineers to assess and develop necessary metrology and toolsets to achieve these objectives. The team will be challenged by new materials, applications and device architectures where you are expected to contribute heavily.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Primary responsibility is the development and assessment of novel techniques for dopant incorporation, diffusion, and activation to solve key technical issues and meet solar cell product requirements of efficiency, cost, reliability and quality.
• Integration of new processes with upstream and downstream processing
• Optimization of processes using statistical design of experiments (DOE)
• Establishing proper Statistical Process Control (SPC) schemes for new processes
• Coordinating/executing experiments in the laboratory, at production sites and at vendor sites
• Analyzing and presenting data clearly and concisely, with recommendations
• Owing a project from initial development through transfer to high volume manufacturing (HVM)
• Communicating within a development team, with internal project customers and with outside vendors
Qualifications and Experience
• B.S degree in Materials Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related fields and 5-8 years of related experience OR M.S. degree and 3-5 years OR Ph.D and 2+ years
• Solar cell device physics background or equivalent (i.e. semiconductor physics)
• Broad knowledge of processes and equipment for semiconductor emitter formation and surface passivation such as chemical vapor deposition, diffusion, annealing, and oxidation
• Self-starter and flexible, creative problem solver, able to adapt to unexpected situations to get results.
• Team player, positive outlook, good at working with diverse groups.
• Excellent communicator, both in oral presentations and written reports
• Willing to travel up to 10% of the time.
• Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related fields.
• 2+ years’ experience with process or equipment development in industrial semiconductor R&D environment preferred.
• Experience with problem-solving methodologies to quickly identify issues and root cause resolution.
• Engineering statistics and experience with statistical software (e.g. JMP)
• Experience with statistical process control (SPC) in a production environment a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.