X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
In addition to projects that have been publicly announced (x.company), we have an exciting, confidential project pipeline that requires strong financial support. You will be helping to develop these initiatives into potential real world projects from day one.
About the role:
The Portfolio Analyst role is an exciting position, demanding excellent analytical, business partnering and thought leadership skills. You will own and manage X’s financial data and planning cycles, ensuring quality in our data infrastructure and integrity in our reporting processes, and using that data to identify actionable insights and metrics for X’s portfolio. In addition, you will lead strategic finance for a number of X projects, requiring you to partner with product, engineering, business development and other cross-functional staff to help your teams make critical business decisions. Your projects will depend on you for business models, capital allocation and P&L statements. This is a varied and unpredictable role, requiring you to be comfortable with uncertainty and constantly re-assessing how to support the needs of our diverse projects.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Partner with senior stakeholders to help drive capital allocation decisions
- Own and manage X’s internal finance database, using SQL to analyze and synthesize raw data into insights and recommendations for the portfolio
- Build reports and visualizations to easily interpret complex data, and generate actionable insights from diverse data sets to build consensus among X leadership and stakeholders
- Work with project leaders to model business scenarios, track performance metrics, and identify levers and risks to support strategic financial decisions
- Help project teams develop their go-to-market strategies by partnering closely with product, legal and business development teams as projects create and close their first commercial agreements
What you should have:
- 4+ years experience in financial modeling, data analytics, finance, startup finance, venture capital, or similar relevant environment
- BA/BS degree in finance, economics, business, or technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Ability to build business models from the ground up, and to extract insights from data and present it to a senior audience effectively
- Experience working with financial data and reporting, including proficiency in SQL
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience in Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A), Accounting, Consulting, Data Modeling, Corporate Strategy, Business Operations or other Finance functions
- Working knowledge of capital allocation, corporate finance, financial accounting, managerial accounting and cost accounting principles (e.g., capitalization, CapEx, balance sheet inventory, analyzing assets and understanding accruals)
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, with proven ability to influence across the company
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].