Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
For years, Abbott’s medical device businesses have offered technologies that are faster, more effective, and less invasive. Whether it’s glucose monitoring systems, innovative therapies for treating heart disease, or products that help people with chronic pain or movement disorders, our medical device technologies are designed to help people live their lives better and healthier. Every day, our technologies help more than 10,000 people have healthier hearts, improve quality of life for thousands of people living with chronic pain and movement disorders, and liberate more than 500,000 people with diabetes from routine ﬁngersticks.
Abbott Vascular provides innovative, minimally invasive and cost-effective products for treatment of vascular disease. Our extensive portfolio includes drug-eluting stents, bare metal stents, guide wires, balloon dilatation catheters, imaging catheters and software, vessel closure devices and peripheral stents
Our location in Santa Clara, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Staff Scientist - Material Characterization..
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Senior-level hands-on contributor with demonstrated expertise in materials science. Will be responsible for advanced materials and medical devices characterization in support of new product development and lifecycle management projects across Abbott medical devices business units.
- Function as the material subject matter expert to support all material related testing and evaluation, using Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS).
- Design, conduct and interpret experiments to support medical devices product development, evaluation, and verification.
- Develop and implement test methods for polymer characterization.
- Mentor junior staff.
The position interacts directly with functional groups including R&D groups, Analytical Chemistry, and Quality groups in the Abbott various business Divisions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING:
- The position requires a Bachelors Degree and 10+ years experience or Masters/PhD degree and 8+ years experience in materials science.
- The position requires a minimum of 8 years in material characterization for medical devices using SEM and EDS.
- Extensive experience with the use of fractography in analyzing fractures in polymer and composite materials.
- Strong computer and general software skills
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and interpersonal skills to successfully partner on varying levels ranging from cross functional to global multi-site and multi-business unit
WHAT WE OFFER :
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future.
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.