Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Sr. Software Engineer, Embedded Development.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior Software Engineer will be a critical technical contributor in the development and maintenance of embedded software for complex electromechanical Abbott Hematology instruments. The Hematology organization is an exciting phase with its flagship product and is looking to expand its technical expertise within the software organization.
This is a challenging role that will require an individual with proven experience delivering high quality systems in a regulated environment. You will be expected to develop and follow good practices and techniques required to deliver quality software.
As a Senior engineer, there will be a leadership element as a technical expert by driving designs, design reviews and design improvements with focus on good development practices.
- Work with an Agile team and empower our customers with innovative new software.
- Deliver high-quality, well-designed, well-tested features in two-week Sprints.
- Developing full stack solutions using new and existing components.
- Crafting and reviewing solutions to specific problems.
- Learn our domain of clinical hematology solutions.
- Work with stakeholders from systems, hardware, manufacturing, and service engineers, technical writers, and quality specialists to ensure that software applications meet functional and technical requirements.
- Lead design of major software components and features.
- Understand, practice and apply OOP, SOLID, Design Patterns.
- Document requirements, use cases, and designs.
- Participate in grooming new features and product improvements.
- Analyze failures and fix bugs.
- Promote a culture of collaboration and inclusiveness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or closely related discipline with five or more years progressive work experience.
- Four to six years progressive work experience.
- Bachelor or Master of Eng/Computer Science or technology related tertiary education
- 7+ years of embedded software or firmware development is required
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in Object Oriented Design and Object Oriented Programming.
- Strong C++ experience is required
- Strong knowledge in and experience using Design Patterns
- Strong knowledge of UML is required
- Experience with Scrum/Agile software development methodologies preferred
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and apply to products is a must
- Winning, can do attitude. Innovative, results oriented approach. Team oriented. Possesses leadership skills
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.