Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
As an Informatics Sr. Software Engineer on the team you will significantly contribute to building the next release of product features and system design. It provides huge opportunities to work at all levels from the front-end user experience, to a set of robust platform services. You should be somebody who enjoys development and working on complex system software, and is passionate about building quality software as well as achieving operational excellence. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills are essential. Location is Santa Clara, CA or Conway Park, IL
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable track record of success delivering new features or products. The candidate should be a critical contributor to building compelling informatics products within Abbotts Diagnostics Division.
The individual will develop software on informatics programs from concept through launch. She/he will also be responsible for supporting on-market products post-launch.
Core Job Responsibilities
- The individual will be responsible for analyzing customer needs (via use cases, requirements, or like), design and development of software work products.
- She/he will be responsible for creating and maintaining documentation for the artifacts created during the SDLC.
- The individual will develop high performance, scalable and secure applications.
- The individual will work with other members of the Informatics team to ensure continuous improvement and iterative evolution of the informatics applications.
- The individual must ensure their work is compliant with the ADD Informatics Quality system.
- The individual should conceive plans, execute and track their projects.
- The individual may travel occasionally per needs of the assigned project.
- The individual is responsible for the design and development of informatics products in compliance with internal policies and procedures, both US and Foreign regulatory standards and requirements.
- She/he is accountable for assisting with the design and implementation of one or more features as assigned on individual programs.
- The individual must have prior experience operating in Scrum-based development teams.
- The individual will interact with project managers, product owners and R&D leadership on project scope, timeline, risks and budget.
- The individual will work as part of cross-functional teams to deliver informatics products.
B.S. in Computer Science or similar engineering discipline including Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering is required. MS is preferred. M.S. in Computer Science or Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering is preferred. Associates Degree is acceptable with a minimum of 10 years professional experience in a related job function.
5-7 years experience covering the entire software lifecycle in a team-oriented environment.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must have experience in developing and launching unique software / informatics products in one of the following industries: healthcare, defense or telecommunications.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming (OOP) and contemporary design patterns/practices.
- The candidate should have working knowledge in preferably Node.js and /or strong background in Java/ Scala/C#. Prior experience with UML is required.
- Prior experience with web based development using Angular.js, React.js, Node.js, D3.js, HTML5, or similar technologies is required.
- The candidate must have working knowledge in either SQL (PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, other) or NoSQL (Dynamo, Redis, MongoDB, other).
- Familiarity with unit, integration and functional testing, source control (Git preferred), and good software engineering practices.
- Experience building Restful web service APIs.
- Prior experience developing or working with Cloud-based technologies such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) is highly desired.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.