Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a design engineer to be part of world-class Modules R&D and Product development team at SunPower Corporation. This person should be an independent thinker and self-driven individual with demonstrated ability to deliver results in a demanding environment and timeline. In this role, he/she will be responsible for the development of next-generation solar module technologies. This position will work closely with Product management, module R&D, Reliability, New product integration and Global Manufacturing to bring new concepts into high volume manufacturing in a fast pace environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Design and develop next-generation solar modules for better performance, reliability and cost
- Define methodologies and tests for qualifying new designs and components for new products
- Work closely with the reliability team to determine acceleration factors for field performance
- Design and conduct experiments to characterize new products, components, and processes
- Interfacing with process and equipment teams to understand requirements for new process and tool development
- Perform rapid cycles of learning using simulation, analytical and laboratory testing to drive towards selection of optimized design solution
- Identify critical technical issues and address gaps as relates to the integration of new products and designs into various systems (residential, commercial, power plants). Able to calculate design safety margins as it relates to product warranty over 25+ years
- Support deployment of new concepts, tools and processes in high volume manufacturing globally
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree in Engineering plus 5+ years of related experience, or M.S. Degree plus 3+ years OR equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
- Knowledgeable in mechanical design and analysis
- Excellent design skills using SolidWorks or similar software
- Preferably experience on numerical method for structural analysis like Finite element analysis (FEA) modeling using ANSYS, ABAQUS, or similar software.
- Experience in Photovoltaics and/or Semiconductor industry required, preferably in technology development environment.
- Experience in product design/development for reliability and manufacturability.
- Familiar with assembly processing and process controls (monitors/charts).
- Familiar with photovoltaics device and their electrical performance
- Experience in leading development projects is a plus
- Familiar with solar module power electronics is a big plus
- Excellent communication, written and presentation skills.
- Writes concise and precise reports and presentations that include critical information.
- Expresses inputs and opinions clearly in meetings
- Ability to influence stakeholders with clear and coherent articulation of one’s stand on issues backed with solid technical data.
- A savvy negotiator who seeks win-win solutions.
- Ability to lead technology/quality task force. Proven problem-solving skills, and ability to lead cross-functional teams thru effective meeting management. Demonstrates analytical thinking and challenges other’s opinions by speaking up.
- Project management skills.
- Keeps to the objectives unless necessary to change, then communicates changes to all involved.
- Tracks projects to the schedule. Leverages others to help. Schedules project before launching them. Clearly states and communicates objectives. Develops project plan independently. Covers all issues when planning projects (Cost, ROI, Justification, Critical paths, etc.). Uncovers dependencies before executing the project.
- Self-management skills.
- Elevates issues when appropriate. Ensures that stakeholders are aware of critical and potential problems.
- Anticipates what might go wrong when planning implementations. Finds ways to improve the process.
- Assumes responsibility; not just for own area, but upstream and downstream areas too. Appropriately accepts responsibilities for failures. Follows up with key partners to ensure clear priorities. Documents and shares findings and key learnings to the group.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
- Eligible to work in USA without visa sponsorship
- Be willing to travel (domestic and international) for business trips with short notice (up to 25%)
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.