Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville, USA - California - Palo Alto, USA - Maryland - Baltimore, USA - Massachusetts - Boston, USA - Tennessee - Nashville, USA - Texas - Austin
Posted Date: Sep 14 2022
Senior Data Scientist
Sr. Data Scientist- Immunology Informatics R&D
Position Location: Rockville, MD - hybrid options, must be local
The Senior Data Scientist integrates and analyzes complex, high dimensional data sets to extract biological knowledge relevant for Vaccines R&D.
This role ensures advanced data analytics and bioinformatics deliverables for Vaccines R&D projects are at the top of research and industry standards with respect to scientific excellence, quality and timelines.
* Represent Discovery Data Sciences as subject matter expert in projects teams.
* Advise on study design, readout selection and data formats, data analysis strategies.
* Provide input to the Discovery Data Sciences scientific strategy, processes and objectives in alignment with the GSK Vaccines R&D strategy.
* Preparation and publication of scientific papers and congress reports.
* Lead up to two PhD students / post-docs for: immunoinformatics/data analytics activities for Vaccines R&D., exploratory data and knowledge integration for hypothesis generation, data modeling for innovative assays, high-dimensional readouts, development of tailored methods and analytical models for explorative analytics of pre-clinical, clinical, and epidemiological data.
* Foster innovation within Discovery Data Sciences and keep abreast of the new and most recent developments and innovations in the fields relevant for the role.
* Communicate Discovery Data Sciences activities, results, and principles to internal stakeholders and scientific community, translating complex solutions into simple, understandable and effective messages.
* Lead or coordinate scientific interactions with multiple partners or international collaborations outside GSK Vaccines.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
* Master's or higher degree in data science, bioinformatics, molecular biology, computational life sciences or related fields, with demonstrable knowledge in artificial intelligence and deep learning
* Fluent in Python and/or R for data modeling and visualization, able to translate computerized features into meaningful biomedical understanding
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
* Ph.D, post-grad degree in data science, bioinformatics, molecular biology, computational life sciences or related fields with proven skills in artificial intelligence and deep learning, with published research/work related to explainable AI, transformers or attention mechanism
* At least 2-years experience in data analyses for next generation sequencing data from Illumina platforms
* Familiarity with integrative, immune-informatics, multi-omics, network analysis
* Accountable communicator to provide a collaborative interface with project stakeholders, fellow data scientists in matrix teams
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork in a culture of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
GSK Vaccines - Our Vaccines business is one of the largest in the world, developing, producing and distributing over 2.5 million vaccines every day to people across 170 countries. For further information, please visit www.gsk.com.
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. GSK has a strong history and expertise in vaccines, and we are staying at the forefront of innovation in this field.
For many years, vaccines have been used mainly to prevent diseases caused by infections, mostly in infants and children. Today, we are focused on developing vaccines for all stages of life, and we believe vaccines can also be used successfully to treat diseases and be therapeutic.
These innovation trends have a strong impact on what we do in Research and Development. We take the best science, with the most impactful technologies and combine it with our GSK culture. Next to our existing portfolio of prophylactic vaccines and moving into the field of therapeutic vaccines, our R&D programme focuses on vaccines for diseases such as RSV, COPD and Meningitis. Another part of R&D targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's priority diseases - tuberculosis and malaria.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.