UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Senior Underwriting Consultant will analyze dental, vision and financial protection benefit plan characteristics and assess risks as to frequency and potential severity of loss of clients. They will utilize underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies. They will also build and maintain models to assist in the economic analysis of market alternatives. The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for the evaluation and recommendation of alternative pricing options and plan design changes based on economic analysis and trends.
This role is part of National Accounts Specialty Benefits, Dental, Vision and Financial Protection (Life, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity) Underwriting, National Accounts. The National Account segment is defined as groups with 5000 or more employees. Ideally the role will be located in Hartford, CT and other locations will be considered.*
If you are located in the EST or CST Time Zone, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Prepare financial experience rating calculations and other ongoing financial reviews that directly aligns with client strategies
- Validate renewals and request for proposals for accuracy including utilization and experience reporting
- Conduct competitive analysis of all coverage lines and present financial and contractual findings to Senior and Executive levels
- Utilize Dental, Vision, Life and Disability experience
- Promote the use of established underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies
- Evaluate and negotiate potential alternatives and options for New Business and Renewal groups with internal and external customers
- Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others
- Collaborate with the Sales and Account Management teams to project pricing and profitability for a range of products and participate in the development of the business strategy
- Ability to present to Senior Management risk and pricing recommendations on large cases
This position is ideally located in Hartford, CT. Other locations and telecommuting will be considered for highly experienced applicants.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 3 + years of professional experience in Underwriting, Finance, Pricing or related field. Underwriting any variety of products: PPO, DHMO, self-funded, ASO / fully-insured, or group
- Intermediate level of proficiency with MS office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Post Graduate Degree in Math, Finance, Business or related degree and/or equivalent years of experience in group insurance benefits
- 3+ years of experience with Risk Management
- 3+ years of data analysis and reporting experience
- 2+ years of presentation experience
- Dental, vision or financial protection underwriting experience
- Extensive experience with dental, vision and/or Financial Protection underwriting experience
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing and solid negotiation skills.
- Current or former UHG employee from an Underwriting function
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Underwriter, Specialty Benefits, Senior Underwriting Consultant, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote, EST, CST, Eastern Time Zone, Central Time Zone