Impossible Foods was founded to transform the global food system and reduce the impact of climate change by making the world's most delicious, nutritious, and sustainable meat, fish, and dairy - from plants.
Through the revolutionary work of our world-class R&D team, we're inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish, and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the negative environmental or public health impact.
Our flagship product, Impossible™ Burger, uses 96% less land, 87% less water and generates 89% less greenhouse gas emissions than conventional beef from cows. And the burger is just the beginning. We're working on recreating every animal product, from chicken to fish, with plant-based ingredients that are vastly better for people and the planet.
Impossible Foods has experienced spectacular growth over the last few years, and we continue to lead all aspects of the plant-based revolution - from discovery and innovation to commercial production and consumer education. We're building an amazing team of brilliant, collaborative, mission-driven individuals who take pride in using their diverse skills to contribute to a better world. Our core values include leading with heart, thinking like scientists, and doing the right thing, and our employees embody these attributes in their work every day.
Want to join the movement? You can help us solve the most urgent, important challenge facing the world today (and have fun doing it). Check out our job opening below:
We are looking for a creative and mission-aligned Senior Scientist to join the team! Our goal is to understand molecular mechanisms underlying flavor chemistry and translate them to create authentic flavor experiences in our products. A successful Scientist in this position will drive understanding of flavor generation in biological tissues in order to translate the chemistry into plant-based systems. An ideal candidate would have broad experience in biochemistry and/or chemistry, particularly the fractionation, purification and reconstitution of complex biochemical systems and the analytical experience necessary to characterize and reconstruct the relevant underlying chemistries of target materials.
If you are curious, hardworking and unafraid to push experimentation combined with scientific rigor, join us!
* Lead efforts to understand molecular drivers of flavor in complex foods and ingredients via biochemical fractionation and other flavor research approaches.
* Efficiently design, execute, and manage experiments in highly dimensional space.
* Develop and guide approaches for biochemical fractionation of animal tissues to identify and chemically characterize the molecular components and chemical processes that lead to target flavor profiles, using sensory and analytical assays.
* Utilize analytical and perceptual tools to understand causative chemistry for flavor outcomes.
* Communicate findings and work with broader flavor research and analytics teams and other cross-functional R&D teams to synthesize knowledge and find solutions.
* Manage and mentor early career Scientists.
* Be a champion for thorough science, and proactively educate and learn from others.
* PhD degree in biochemistry, chemistry or other related fields and 5+ years of experience OR 10+ years of relevant experience.
* Extensive experience in fractionation, purification and reconstitution of biochemical systems is a must.
* Experience in lipid chemistry, lipid fractionation is a plus.
* Experience in analytical chemistry is a plus.
* Experience developing complex sample preparation workflows for analytical characterization is desirable.
* Experience in applied sensory and perceptual research is a plus.
* Extensive experience in lab safety, chemical hazards and toxicity, chemical hygiene, and safe lab practices.
* Excellent communication skills to successfully collaborate with and influence Scientists with diverse technical backgrounds.
* Motivation, humility, curiosity, and eagerness to explore new conceptual areas.
* Energy and determination to work in a fast-paced environment on a project critical to the future of our planet.
* Passion for our mission.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: https://impossiblefoods.com/careers/notice. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Hawaii, and Wisconsin.