Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Advanced Analytics team within OptumRx’s Digital Analytics and Intelligence uses sophisticated algorithms and techniques to resolve some of the hardest problems to improve our customers digital experiences. The team uses a blend of scientific, problem solving, and quantitative skills to develop and deliver groundbreaking methods addressing critical problems in our digital environment. The Advanced Analytics team collaborates across product, design, engineer and IT team through data science, machine learning and AI.
Do you want to be part of a growing data science and data engineering team that is helping to shape the digital experiences for millions of customers? As a Principal Data Scientist, you will work cross-functionally with data scientists, engineers, analysts, and product managers to design, develop, and deploy state-of-the-art machine learning models that make a meaningful difference to millions of our customers. You will glean actionable insights from Optum’s vast trove of data, translate business problems into predictive models.
This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone who wants to have business impact, dive deep into large scale machine learning, reinforcement learning, enable measurable actions and work closely with product and engineering teams. This position will report directly to the Director of Data Science.
Purpose of Position:
You will have opportunity to work on a portfolio of challenges that could include, but are not limited to:
- Enabling anomaly detection capabilities to identify the change in customer behavior that deviate from a normal digital behavior with potential critical incidents or opportunities
- Modelling multi-channel customer behavior and the member journey to improve member engagement and reduce potential frictions
- Researching and developing cohort analysis and customer churn prediction models to reduce drug attrition and lead to better health outcomes
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead and deliver data science solutions leveraging latest machine learning techniques, including exploratory data analysis, feature engineering and selection, model selection, evaluation and cross validation, deployment and productionalization at scale that drive value to Optum
- Research and apply a range of data science methodologies and machine learning models to complex business problems
- Develop, implement, and maintain tools and algorithms using Python and/or other languages with appropriate libraries and frameworks
- Communicate results as well as their uncertainty and limitations effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related discipline
- 3+ years of relevant real-world experience researching, developing, and delivering high impact data driven insights through machine learning
- Deep understanding of supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques
- High proficiency in exploratory data analysis, data profiling, and feature engineering on large structured and unstructured datasets
- In depth knowledge and hands-on computer programming in SQL, Python, R, or similar programming language
- Solid communication skills - ability to succinctly communicate results and tell compelling stories with data to any audience (e.g. presenting findings and deep dives to senior leadership)
- Master’s degree or PhD in statistics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related discipline
- Experience presenting to both technical and non-technical audiences and a history of publications or presentations at conferences
- Deep knowledge of probability, statistics, and machine learning algorithms with the ability to determine when to apply them
- Familiarity with big data platforms (like Spark, Databricks), machine learning frameworks (like TensorFlow, Keras, MXNet or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn, numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn) with the ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Knowledge of Azure, or similar cloud platforms
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you’ll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you’re empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: Principal Data Scientist, Lead Data Scientist, Data Scientist, Machine Learning, Recommender Systems, Bandit, bandit, Bayesian algorithms, Thompson Sampling, Algorithms, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Recommendation systems, TensorFlow, Spark, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote, WAH, Eden Prairie, MN, Chicago, IL, San Francisco, Mountain View, CA, New York, NY, Boston, MA, Seattle, WA