Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Certified Coder I will review and abstract healthcare encounter documentation and assign appropriate ICD-10-CM, CPT, and/or HCPCS codes as necessary.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Effectively and efficiently work with ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codes for proper billing
- Correctly assign ICD-10-CM, CPT, and/or HCPCS codes as supported by documentation
- Review provider documentation for support of clinician-selected ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS codes
- Identify and assign modifiers, and correct code linkage to healthcare encounter codes and correct any incorrect coding by provider
- Provide feedback query (send backs) to providers in instances of coding-related problems/issues
- Back-up and assist other department personnel as required
- Assist Coding Manager to ensure charge tickets are up to date and with the correct ICD-10-CM/CPT/HCPCS codes
- Complete all coding duties as assigned on a daily basis according to daily productivity requirements
- Perform additional job relevant duties as needed.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or equivalent. Certified Professional Coder-Apprentice (CPC-A) certification will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- 2+ years of medical coding experience
- 2+ years of Managed Care experience
- Basic computer knowledge and a typing speed of 30+ wpm
- Proven ability to work with providers and clinical staff in a courteous and pleasant manner
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of speed and accuracy over long periods of time and stress
- Proven ability to perform in an organized and efficient manner, demonstrating adaptability and flexibility
- Knowledge of coding guidelines and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to accurately abstract healthcare encounter documentation and assign appropriate healthcare codes as supported by the documentation, including evaluation and management (E/M) and surgical/procedure codes, for primary care and multiple medical specialties.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and effectively use Allscripts/Touchworks electronic health record (EHR) system and coding assisting programs
- Outpatient coding experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at OptumCare. We're on a mission to change the face of health care. As the largest health and wellness business in the US, we help 58 million people navigate the health care system, finance their health care needs and achieve their health and well-being goals. Fortunately, we have a team of the best and brightest minds on the planet to make it happen. Together we're creating the most innovative ideas and comprehensive strategies to help heal the health care system and create a brighter future for us all. Join us and learn why there is no better place to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare’s support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine by the medical practices or any of their physicians.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $17.12 to $30.34. The salary/hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $18.80 to $33.41. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment
Job Keywords: Medical Coder, Outpatient Coding, CPC coder, CCS coder, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote