Autonomy is one of the leading technological advances of this century that will come to impact our lives. The work you'll do at Applied will meaningfully accelerate the efforts of the top autonomy teams in the world. At Applied, you will have a unique perspective on the development of cutting-edge technology while working with major players across the industry and the globe.
Applied Intuition provides software solutions to safely develop, test, and deploy autonomous vehicles at scale. The company's suite of simulation, validation, and drive log management software enables development teams to create thousands of scenarios in minutes, run simulations at scale, and verify and validate algorithms for production deployment. Headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo, Applied consists of software, robotics, and automotive experts with experiences from top global companies. Leading autonomy programs and 17 of the top 20 global OEMs use Applied's solutions to bring autonomy to market faster.
About the role
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our legal team and lead our government contract and compliance efforts. This is a uniquely strategic role with a mix of both internal and external-facing responsibilities in an area of increasing importance and growth for Applied Intuition. In short, this role will make an impact. You will report to our Head of Legal and primarily support our government and defense team but will also partner cross-functionally across Product, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing. You will also have opportunities to expand your role as part of a small legal team in a high growth start up.
Our ideal candidate is a, business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution, prepared to lead on important deals, and is comfortable making thoughtful and creative decisions. The role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency but also someone who enjoys being part of a supportive team dedicated to providing top legal service to our internal clients. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and be comfortable working in ambiguity.
At Applied you will:
* Support the drafting and negotiation of a variety of government and defense transactions, including prime contracts and related agreements with third parties (subcontract agreements, teaming agreements, non-disclosure agreements), and RFQ/RFP/RFI/ROMs.
* Interpret and explain contract terms and conditions as well as regulations that apply to government contractors for internal clients and ensure compliance with those terms.
* Develop scalable and sustainable legal operations processes, programs and tools to support the legal team's effective and efficient delivery of services
* Lead or support various compliance activities and internal investigations
* Assist in drafting company policies and prepare employee training and education
* Take on other duties that come up as part of a small legal team in a high growth start-up
We're looking for someone who has:
* In depth knowledge and practical experience advising clients on government procurement laws and processes including the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), particularly with respect to data rights and IP protections
* Experience in negotiating terms, costs, and contract requirements in proposals to obtain contract awards
* The ability, through your own experience and knowledge or by working with outside counsel, to guide Applied and ensure compliance with various regulations related to EAR and ITAR controlled items, Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI), NIST, hiring foreign nationals, etc.
Nice to have:
* Experience with some combination of law firm/in-house/Department of Defense work
* An active security clearance, or the ability to obtain one, at Secret level or higher
Don't meet every single requirement? If you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.