Bloom Energy is the leading force in transforming the way energy is generated and delivered. We are driving toward the parallel goals of growing a dynamic and forward-thinking company while creating a positive impact on our environment. Our mission is to make clean, reliable energy affordable globally. Our company is filled with smart and innovative thinkers and doers, and we never stop striving to improve our technology, to expand and improve our company performance, and to develop and support the many talented employees that serve our mission!
We are looking for a Installation Design Structural Engineer to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies. This role will report to Senior Manager, Electrical Design Engineering and based in San Jose, CA.
The Installation Design Structural Engineer will develop conceptual designs and implementation specifications for complex solutions to demonstrate feasibility of Bloom Energy’s product. This position will interface with a larger site design team: engineers, project managers, and construction supervisors.
This position will focus on eliminating technical barriers and representing a highly technical product or service related to the power industry. The Installation Design Structural Engineer must have a strong understanding of a broad set of engineering and construction solutions and have the ability to manage the internal design and external customer process.
Job responsibilities include technical site analysis and conceptual design; interface with City/County/State officials and utilities; and managing customer relationships. Knowledge of construction, electrical, mechanical applications is essential. Knowledge of structural mechanics principals is essential. An understanding of electrical, mechanical and electro-chemical applications is beneficial.
The Installation Design Structural Engineer must have experience working broader design disciplines to create construction drawings. An understanding of electrical equipment (e.g. diesel generators, UPS systems, transfer switches) and other relevant components, and the code requirements associated with installing these components is a must.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for technical content of, overseeing, and developing structural site designs. Additional responsibilities may include minor mechanical, civil, structural, plumbing and electrical details.
• Responsible for reviewing 3rd party designs and custom equipment solutions. Produce project specific structural drawings, calculations and documents as needed.
• Interface directly with outside 3rd parties including but not limited to utilities, Permitting Authorities, 3rd party design firms, and customers to determine technical requirements for fuel cell installation at the customer site.
• Ensure resulting construction drawings/documents meet all Building, Construction and code requirements.
• Coordinate with drafting team in various locations to incorporate civil and structural details into site plan.
• Work with entire engineering team to value engineer designs for improvement to costs estimates and schedules.
• Responsible for ensuring site design conforms to specifications required for the implementation of Bloom Energy fuel cell systems.
Skills and Experience:
• Ability to make decisions on key technical issues in a demanding, fast paced environment Knowledge of codes related to construction projects (i.e. IBC, NFPA, NEC, ASCE, AWWA).
• Ability to switch between the strategic (e.g. impact of Bloom Energy technology on customer’s long term business) and tactical (e.g. qualification of 3rd party).
• Professional & collaborative – comfortable working closely with a team.
• Proactive and persistent with well-developed analytical skills.
• Detail oriented with the ability to drive complex tasks to closure.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to confidently and clearly define engineering requirements. Self-starter that shows the ability to work independently and under minimal supervision.
• Ability to interact with engineers of different disciplines.
• Ability to make decisions on key technical issues in a demanding, fast paced environment.
• Proficient in MS Office.
Education and Experience:
• BS in Civil Engineering.
• PE license in California preferred.
• 6+ years of civil engineering experience on a construction design project team with experience stamping drawings/letters.
• Must have experience in development of storm water management, erosion/sediment control, grading, and drainage plans from concept design through completion.
• Substantive experience with permitting agencies and developing a permit drawing set.
• Construction and construction support experience.
• Knowledge and use of materials for structural and structural mechanics designs.
• Knowledge and use of AutoCAD.
About Bloom Energy:
At Bloom Energy, we strive toward a 100% renewable future. Our Energy Servers are adaptable to new and innovative fuels while already acting as a cleaner and far more resilient source of power than existing solutions. We see hydrogen as a significant game-changer in the world’s energy usage, and Bloom Energy fuel cells and electrolyzers will be the industry standard for clean, efficient, and reliable energy production. We anticipate being able to work in concert with other renewable energy technologies to create a comprehensive system that will change the way energy in the world is produced, stored, transmitted, and used. For more information visit: www.bloomenergy.com.
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.