Shepherd & Sims is a brand new concept brought to you by The Hot Behind You Hospitality Management Group. Executive Chef Jim Stump brings over 40 years of culinary experience to this project in Los Gatos. We are searching for a candidate that has the experience and passion for hospitality and service.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities and experience;
*Has been a food server or a bartender for over 2 years
*Advanced Knowledge of Spirits and Wine
*Can Implement Standard Operating Procedures
*Can train and lead by example and demonstration
*Has 2 years of Management in a Free Standing Restaurant (non-corporate)
* Can lift up to 50 pounds
* Able to stand for 8-10 hours
The General Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of the
restaurant, including the selection, development and performance management of
employees. In addition, they oversee the inventory and ordering of food and supplies,
optimize profits and ensure that guests are satisfied with their dining experience. The
General Manager reports to the Owners of Shepherd and Sims.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Oversee and manage all areas of the restaurant and make final decisions on
matters of importance.
- Adhere to company standards and service levels to increase sales and
minimize costs, including food, beverage, supply, utility and labor costs.
- Responsible for ensuring that all financial (invoices, reporting) and
personnel/payroll related administrative duties are completed accurately, on time
and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
Food safety and planning
- Enforce sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance, of kitchen and dining areas.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards, company policies, federal/state/local laws, and ordinances.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent high quality of food preparation and service.
- Maintain professional restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper
uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Estimate food and beverage costs. Work with Owners for efficient
provisioning and purchasing of supplies (This includes department heads such as bar managers and kitchen managers). Supervise portion control and quantities of
preparation to minimize waste.
- Estimate food needs, place order with distributors, and schedule the delivery of
fresh food and supplies.
- Must be ServSafe certified.
- Will uphold all ServSafe guidelines.
- Ensure positive guest service in all areas. Respond to complaints, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests.
- Adhere to the Customer Complaint Manual that is part of the training manual when dealing with customer complaints
- Ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees,
guests and company assets.
- Ensure a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and
accidents. Completes accident reports promptly in the event that a guest or
employee is injured.
- Follows-thru with all accident claims with the Workman's Comp Insurance Company
- Trains and Monitors Management staff on properly reporting workman's comp claims
- Manage shifts which include: daily decision making, scheduling, planning while
upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and service.
- Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Use standards of the approved employee manual by owners to manage employees.
- Use approved training manual when training new hires.
- Review and Complete all New-Hire paperwork according to Federal and California State Laws.
- Properly document employee infractions of employee manual, training procedures, or company policy.
- Properly discipline employee infractions of employee manual, training procedures, or company policy.
- General manager will also adhere to the approved manuals.
- Interview hourly employees. Direct hiring, supervision, development and, when
necessary, termination of employees.
- Conduct orientation, explain the Shepherd and Sims Philosophy, and oversee the training of new employees.
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance
expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
- This includes on-going training of steps of service, food, and wine knowledge.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of restaurant staffing needs.
- Prepare schedules and ensure that the restaurant is staffed for all shifts.
- Provide strong presence in local community and high level of community
involvement by restaurant and personnel.
- Self-discipline, initiative, leadership ability and outgoing.
- Pleasant, polite manner and a neat and clean appearance.
- Ability to motivate employees to work as a team to ensure that food and service
meet appropriate standards.
- Must be able to handle the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide
range of activities and recommend appropriate solutions to restaurant problems. Must possess good communication skills for dealing with diverse staff.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks such as food, beverage and labor cost while
maintaining required standards of operation in daily restaurant activities.
- Keeps Owners promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e.
problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and takes prompt
corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action.
- Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with Shepherd and Sims policies and procedures.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity and efficiency/effectiveness.
- At all times provides a favorable image of Shepherd and Sims.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
- 10- 55+ employees each shift
- Hours may vary if manager must fill in for his/her employees or if emergencies arise (typical work week = 50 hours).
- Ability to perform all functions at the restaurant level, including delivery when needed.
- Position requires prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, lifting products and supplies weighing 45 pounds, and repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Work with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment as well as operates phones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and other office equipment.