Hoge Fenton, a venerable multi-service law firm headquartered in downtown San Jose, has an immediate opening for a mid-senior-level (7-9 years) Family Law associate. Candidates should have experience in family law in a private firm setting and a demonstrated interest in providing advice and counsel to clients with a broad spectrum of family law issues. Successful candidates will have experience representing clients before judicial officers and in mediations, drafting discovery, drafting motions and associated legal documents, and participating in settlement negotiations. Once hired, this person will collaborate with others in the family law group to achieve the best possible results for our clients.
This position may be based either in our Tri-Valley (Pleasanton), Peninsula (San Mateo) or Silicon Valley (downtown San Jose) office. Travel to the other office will be necessary as this position works with attorneys in all office locations.
The successful candidate has:
- A minimum of 7 years of substantive family law experience
- Practiced in a private firm with experience being responsible for client matters (with supervision) and communicating with clients. (Experience need not be exclusively at a private firm.)
- Prior experience independently identifying issues and anticipating/recommending necessary next steps
- Strong academic credentials
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated in a court setting
- Strong legal and factual/investigative research skills
- An exquisite attention to detail and accurate work product
- A commitment to excellence and a strong work ethic; a commitment to the practice of family law
- A desire to learn and grow professionally; possesses intellectual curiosity
- Must be a current member of the State Bar of California.
Hoge Fenton has a strong commitment to diversity. We strive to recruit and retain a work force that welcomes and supports the interests of women, families, and people of any age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, or military or veteran status.
We offer our associates a full array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, EAP (employee assistance program), Technology Credit Union membership, 401(k), the Gradifi student loan repayment benefit, paid parental leave, teleworking opportunities, a no-accrual vacation policy, and associate bonus plan.
Our environment is collegial, collaborative, and supportive. We provide both formal and informal training opportunities and encourage professional growth, both as a lawyer and a businessperson. Our associate hours commitment is 1,700 annually (billable), plus professional development and business development hours.
Please note that Hoge Fenton requires that all employees who physically enter the workplace be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. In the event of a legal exemption from vaccination, reasonable accommodation will be considered.
If you think you belong on our team, please forward your resume and a writing sample to Heather Larrick, Executive Director at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Be sure to include a cover email or letter and your salary expectations.