Important Note: During the application process, ensure your contact information (email and phone number) is up to date and upload your current resume when submitting your application for consideration. To participate in some selection activities you will need to respond to an invitation. The invitation can be sent by both email and text message. In order to receive text message invitations, your profile must include a mobile phone number designated as “Personal Cell” or “Cellular” in the contact information of your application.
At Wells Fargo, we are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. We are seeking candidates who embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in a workplace where everyone feels valued and inspired.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Commercial Banking provides financial solutions to businesses with annual sales generally in excess of $5 million. Our business lines are Wells Fargo Commercial Capital, Middle Market Banking, and Treasury Management & Payment Solutions.
Wells Fargo Commercial Capital
- A market-leading provider of working capital, investment capital, trust services, and sales financing solutions that help customers optimize liquidity and grow their business through their lifecycle
Wells Fargo Strategic Capital (WFSC), part of Wells Fargo Commercial Capital, is a multi-strategy, principal investment business providing private equity and debt capital. The group has the flexibility to structure investments that best fit a company’s needs and can include venture and growth capital, middle market transactions, private equity, structured solutions, senior and subordinated debt, and other special situations financing. WFSC invests capital directly from Wells Fargo’s $1.9 trillion balance sheet and is a financial investor focused on helping both existing clients of Wells Fargo and companies new to Wells Fargo succeed financially. In addition to the expertise and resources within WFSC, WFSC has the unique opportunity to draw on Well Fargo’s strong breadth and depth of relationships, product offerings, and expertise to source investment opportunities and provide value-added solutions. WFSC has industry-focused divisions in energy, healthcare, technology, and diversified industries and also has divisions in fund investing and strategic investing.
The Director role serves as a leader in the identification, evaluation and ongoing monitoring of investments as senior member of a deal team. Evaluates risk and reward of investment opportunities, and makes recommendations based on the evaluation. Responds to portfolio company questions about investments, and serves as a relationship manager on the deal team, handling relationships with portfolio companies and other investors. Key areas of responsibility of new investments and existing portfolio investments include leading due diligence requests, legal entity work, on boarding and closing processes, and other activities to prepare investment proposals for approval and booking. Coordinates with network contacts to determine opportunities for business development, and may be responsible for assigned portions of sourcing new deals under the direction of a Managing Directors. Actively mentors and helps train VPs and Associates. Evaluates opportunities with appropriate lens of risk, reward, and overall portfolio construction.
This position offers tremendous opportunities for a high-energy candidate who is a motivated self-starter, a leader with established investment credentials, and has an entrepreneurial attitude with interest in helping build a relatively new business. The Principal Technology Investments (PTI) Division of WFSC was started in 2019 and this Director will have the opportunity to be an important leader in building and shaping how this investment platform develops over time. Within the culture of a team-based approach to investing, the Director will have primary responsibility for leading lean deal teams in all aspects of the investment process including sourcing, evaluating, executing, closing, and portfolio monitoring. This Director will be one of the key drivers in building the PTI Division’s investment portfolio. In doing so, the Director will have the opportunity to use a broad array of creative financial structures to provide solutions for some of the most interesting and exciting companies in the world. The Director will also have the ability to leverage proprietary deal flow sources associated with being a part of Wells Fargo. The Director will be one of the primary points of contact for interaction with internal and external constituents such as portfolio companies, partner investors, other Wells Fargo lines of business, and the WFSC investment committee. The position will report to the head of the WFSC PTI Division.
The Director is expected to collaborate with others in the group to provide decision-making input on all new investment opportunities under evaluation for the PTI Division. The Director also shares responsibility for basic operations of the division that is standard in the private equity industry such as establishing investment strategy, marketing, and administrative activities such as internal reporting, compliance reviews, etc. In partnership with other Directors, the Director will train and mentor Vice Presidents, and Associates.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
- 5+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: investment banking, capital markets, private equity, commercial banking, merchant banking, direct investing, consulting, or operations in any above area
- Ability to take on a high level of responsibility, initiative, and accountability
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong accounting skills
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) skills
Other Desired Qualifications
- 7+ years work experience in one or a combination of: venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or strategy consulting
- Passion for, knowledge of, and experience in the technology industry preferred.
- Board of directors experience
- Positive track record of sourcing, evaluating, executing, and closing transactions and managing investments related to private equity, venture capital, or credit related products that have generated good investment returns. Middle market growth capital and / or private equity investment expertise strongly preferred
- Ability to interact with integrity and a high level of professionalism with all levels of team members and management
- Ability to mentor Vice Presidents, and Associates in all relevant areas
- Strong integrity, work ethic, and a team player
- Strong skills in financial modeling (e.g., analyze financial statements, create financial models, private capital valuation methodologies)
- Graduate level degree (e.g., MBA) or equivalent expertise preferred
- Ability to work independently or in teams and thrive in a fast paced, loosely-structured, entrepreneurial environment
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn
CA-Palo Alto: 525 University Avenue - Palo Alto, CA
NC-Charlotte: 301 S College St - Charlotte, NC
NY-New York: 500 W 33rd Street - NEW YORK, NY
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Visit https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/careers/benefits for benefits information.