Shepherd & Sims is the brand new concept brought to you by Jim Stump in Los Gatos set to open in July 2021. Stump's other concepts include;
Forthright Oyster Bar & Kitchen
We are searching for a teammate to be our Chef de Cuisine. This demanding position will require a commitment of one's personal energy and time. We are hiring for this position immediately . Be prepared to execute a cooking demonstration.
The Chef is responsible for maintaining consistency in food quality and execution according to the Executive Chef, Jim Stump. The Chef will maintain company systems and standard operating procedures. Chef has the human resource, financial and administrative responsibilities as they pertain to his/her direct reports. In addition, she/he is also responsible for working closely with executive chef to assure standards are being met in all other aspects of the commissary operation. Must be capable of fulfilling all areas of executive chef's responsibilities in his/her absence. Must work closely with executive chef in promoting Shepherd and Sims culture, mission and philosophy.
CHEF STANDARDS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Adhere to all service standards and procedures as outline for each position.
- Act as lead trainer for kitchen staff or supervise training of all new kitchen staff entering the restaurant
- Ensure proper set up and break down of cooking stations
- Ensure that sanitation standards as set forth by Shepherd and Sims, local, state, and federal regulations are in compliance as well as the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all reach ins and walk ins according to Santa Clara Valley
- Health Department Standards and company Standards
- Maintain Clean kitchen and prep areas
- Maintain safety standards to ensure staff works safely in the restaurant and kitchen
- Clean and Maintain kitchen equipment according to company standards
- Report any kitchen equipment maintenance issue to owner or Executive Chef You may need to contact approved vendor for service
- Create recipes for all menu items (All recipes will be the property of Shepherd and Sims
- Assist in the planning and development of menus and recipes, ensure the correct preparation and presentation of a consistent level for all food items prepared through production and demonstration, utilize creative menu planning to minimizing waste.
- Supervise staff when making recipes to ensure quality and consistency
- Monitor quality and consistency of menu items and inventory
- All menu changes must be approved by Executive Chef Jim Stump
- Purchase quality products in line with company budget
- Seek approval from Executive Chef to purchase new ingredients not listed on inventory
- Manage Inventory by keeping inventory reports current with products in house and changing counting units and cost
- Maintain control systems which will assure quality and portion consistency, monitor food shipments to ensure they meet established purchasing specifications as well and foster an awareness of the importance of food preparation and quality.
- Control labor and operating expenses (kitchen labor 18% based on kitchen labor to food sales) through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions, (food cost must be maintained at 28% or below) and inventory control.
- Ensure that all kitchen staff employees are taking their 30-minute unpaid meal period
- Note & Report any safety hazards
- Guide employees according to employee manual
- Hire and terminate employees in accordance with the employee manual
- Select, train, evaluate, lead, motivate, coach, and discipline all employees in the Kitchen's food production area to ensure that established cultural and core standards are met
- Communicate with employees and managers to ensure operational needs are met, coordinate menu tastings and pre-meal meetings to educate staff on food taste and preparation methods, attend regular operational meetings to ensure effective coordination and cooperation between departments; interact directly with guests to ascertain satisfaction.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors
Working a minimum of 50 hours is a part of your job description. You are required to work 5 days a week. If your workweek falls on a closure date, and you did not work 5 days, YOU WILL NOT BE PAID FULL SALARY. You may adjust your work schedule if applicable to ensure that you can work 5 days to avoid salary adjustment. Conversely, if you work an extra day in a workweek, ownership will compensate you outside of your salary for an additional day or days. (This clause if for salaried employees)
You also accrue ONE WEEK of paid vacation per year. You MAY NOT roll over vacation time from the previous year into the next. (This clause is for salaried employees)