UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We are seeking a qualified attorney for a position in the UnitedHealthcare legal department on the Government Programs Network Legal Team. This Associate General Counsel role supports the UnitedHealthcare Networks business team as legal and strategic advisor to company’s provider network related initiatives and acts as a subject matter expert for network issues in the Medicaid space.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Member of the Government Programs Network Legal Team, supporting the Central Region for Medicare Advantage and Medicaid issues. The Central Region includes these 15 markets: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin
- Subject matter expert and team lead for network legal needs related to Medicaid
- Serve as counsel to senior leadership in the development, structuring and execution of all aspects of the company’s relationships with healthcare providers Draft and negotiate provider agreements, including participation agreements, amendments, value-based contracting, payment appendices, and regulatory appendices with large and complex healthcare provider partners
- Provide legal support on a variety of issues involving providers in the Medicare Advantage and Medicaid networks, including contract interpretation, payment methodologies, regulatory requirements, performance-based compensation arrangements, provider administrative guides, provider disputes, market expansions, and contract terminations
- Acquire deep knowledge of the industry and the specific business practices of the company’s provider network operations and the Medicare Advantage and Medicaid business units within UnitedHealth Group so as to best advise senior business leaders as they develop network strategy and pursue enterprise goals
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- License to practice law in one or more states
- 5+ years of relevant professional legal experience in an attorney capacity
- 2+ years of health insurance experience with a focus on Medicaid
- Expertise, judgement and presence to advise senior leadership on legal matters
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations within the healthcare industry
- Demonstrated ability to draft and negotiate complex contracts
- Proven success in collaborating across a matrixed business and legal environment
- Ability to drive results. Solid work ethic
- Ability to evaluate and determine appropriate legal course of action to meet business needs
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience with healthcare regulatory agencies and state insurance regulations
- Understanding of healthcare benefit coverage
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates and external company contacts
- Well-developed written and verbal communications skills
- Live within the vicinity of the specific career opportunity, but will consider telecommuters
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 5 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $113,500 to $218,100. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.