Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!
The Payroll Accountant is responsible for maintaining payroll related accounts (daily deposits of cash, checks, and others). They are also responsible for the reconciliation of accounts and reporting. The Payroll Accountant prepares various accounting papers, schedules and records and works on other related projects as directed by their Supervisor.
- Work with ADP to maintain and reconcile the payroll tax deposit schedule. Prepare and reconcile monthly, quarterly and annual payroll tax filings, and respond to or work with ADP to initiate communications with various tax authorities. Maintain tax schedules to update PeopleSoft and for reporting purposes. Support continuous review of employee tax data information. Research and correct or adjust errors discovered. Review and adjust data entry errors in processes within the department.
- Process, test and report Year-end W-2s, working with our systems personnel and with outside W-2 vendor to ensure timely file generation, printing and mailing of W-2s. Handling W-2c processing and reporting. Communicate with General Accounting regarding status of certain outstanding payroll checks. Work with ADP to prepare and submit amendments as needed.
- Participate in system testing of upgrade products and conversion, developing testing environment and analysis of test data related but not limited to Payroll Tax. Work with the HR and IT departments to ensure timely and accurate implementation.
- Participate in Financial Close and Audit activities as directed.
- Validates and Process International Salary Payment Requests prepared by a third party.
- Results Driven / Organizational Agility
- Integrity and Trust
- Problem Solving / Technical Competence
- Peer Relationships / Interpersonal Savvy
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Must have a thorough understanding of accounting principles, generally obtained by completing College level accounting courses through the advanced level.
- Minimum of four years prior Payroll, HRIS, or Accounting experience
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State Tax regulations
- Review and analyze tax data to identify and resolve problems
- Use on-line systems/applications to support the work being performed (Microsoft Word and Excel, Payroll and Benefits Administration Systems)
- Excellent analytical and customer service skills
- Ability to organize own work and set priorities with minimum supervision
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of associates
- Attend to detail with accuracy
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
This role requires regular in-office presence, including to engage in in-person team interaction, meetings and collaboration, client support, mentoring, coaching, and/or feedback. However, this role can perform duties effectively using a combination of in-office and remote work.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management's discretion.
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company's overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.