Role and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with internal clients in the advancement of Company Energy’s business objectives across multiple jurisdictions
- Provide strategic and practical legal advice and subject matter expertise on a range of relevant, regulatory and policy matters, including both retail behind-the-meter and wholesale in-front-of-the meter issues and proceedings.
- Work cross-functionally to identify, analyze, and mitigate relevant issues related to the introduction of new products and services; conduct policy and regulatory analysis.
- Manage regulatory process including monitoring regulatory developments, defining regulatory strategy, and drafting and submitting public comments
- Represent Company before regulatory agencies, broadly defined and enforcement authorities
- Develop messaging materials to be presented to senior government and corporate officials
- Research, understand, and communicate the detailed mechanics of energy policy
- Provide legal advice to Company Government Affairs, Business Development and Legal teams on regulatory and energy law matters.
- Lead agreement-making process, develop, and maintain ongoing relationships with external stakeholders and policy makers on regulatory matters.
Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Law (JD / LLB) from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the California Bar.
- 18 or more years of legal experience as an energy attorney ; in-house experience in a technology/energy company is a plus
- Able to thrive in a dynamic environment and grow and adapt as Company Energy grows
- Exceptional writing, communication and presentation skills; ability to portray complex concepts to diverse audiences
- Background in working with elected and appointed officials and their senior legal and policy aides as well as senior officials of energy companies and energy investors
- Demonstrated understanding of the law and regulatory process
- Ability and drive to take ownership of projects and tasks.
- Comfortable with gray areas and interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts.
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Admitted to, and in good standing with, a state bar.