Company is a digital operations management platform that empowers the right action, when seconds matter.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, Company is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
We’re growing fast and looking for ambitious people who share our values and customer devotion mindset to join our high caliber team.
Company is growing rapidly and seeking a VP of Legal – Commercial and Operations. In this global role you will have a direct and critical impact to the business in generating revenue. As such, this role carries responsibility for growing and leading the global commercial legal organization and supporting and guiding legal and operational matters related to high volume commercial transactions and to sophisticated sales and partner agreement negotiations. This global leader will direct activities within the legal team and provide legal counsel to the company’s leadership team, and will provide support to the company’s procurement function.
This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and sophisticated legal projects and matters. You will operate independently in a high growth environment and be comfortable working collaboratively and proactively within Legal as well as cross-functionally and with external partners.
This position will report to our Senior Vice President and General Counsel in San Francisco.
- • Primary responsibility for 1) leading and directing a team covering all legal and contract negotiations matters across Company’s commercial activities and 2) operations related to all Commercial Legal processes, including process optimization and automation as well as data and metrics tracking and decisioning.
- • Work closely with Sales, Business Development and Self-Service Growth teams to ensure Company scales its teams, processes and systems as the needs of our business and our customers grow; ensure the quality development, revision and implementation of robust-yet-sensible processes, procedures and tools to improve the customer experience in conducting business with Company across all customer segments, and improve the efficiency and speed of customer and partner contracting. Ensure client and stakeholder absorption and adoption of these processes, procedures and tools.
- • Guide global team regarding the drafting and negotiation of, customer and partner subscription and consulting agreements for SaaS offerings under California, English and EU law and applicable U.S. federal law in a fast-moving environment with rapid negotiation cycles.
- • Manage the team in supporting procurement negotiations.
- • Provide mentorship to senior attorneys in Company’s Legal function and develop their management skills.
- • An advanced career or expert attorney with exceptional law firm and in-house credentials. Admitted into and in good standing with the bar of a U.S. state (excluding Louisiana). If not a member of the California bar, should have material demonstrated experience contracting under California law or other demonstrated familiarity with California law.
- • At least 15 years’ experience including at least 10 years of strong leadership experience building, running and/or developing global, robust teams.
- • Deep subject matter expertise in commercial transactions, in-house sales, SaaS and enterprise B2B transactions, including key substantive legal matters relevant to SaaS contracting such as commercial, data privacy and export control laws as well as intellectual property disputes and open source matters.
- • Deep familiarity and demonstrated experience with 1) commercial contracts lifecycle management, procurement operations and driving automation and other efficiencies in the commercial space and 2) creating, implementing, improving, simplifying and ensuring adherence to systems, processes and procedures.
- • Ability to network and develop other resources for benchmarking contract terms and improving company practices, and develop team’s ability to do so.
- • Skilled, effective and empathetic manager who is able to empower team members to achieve at a consistently high level while building trusted relationships.
- • Experience making significant decisions regarding legal and compliance risks in a fast-moving environment. Must enjoy negotiating, but not overly so, and share that enjoyment with team.
- • Strong experience developing team’s ability to optimize negotiations and to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative and pragmatic ways to facilitate clear and open communication at all levels of the organization
- • Experience negotiating global transactions that are truly strategic (multi-faceted/exclusive/involving IP licensing), such as OEM agreements, exclusive geographic distribution arrangements, joint ventures, collaborative product development, etc.
- • Strong professional judgment, practicality, and client service focus. Proactive and able to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment.
- • Excellent legal analysis and oral and written communication skills.
- • Several years in a law firm negotiating technology transactions;
- • Commercial litigation experience;
- • Experience with SaaS non-sales-assisted “land” models where frictionless contracting and product virality is paramount to obtaining new customers on a self-service basis.