Location: San Jose, Remote/Flexible
Recogni's mission is to design a vision-oriented artificial intelligence system for autonomous vehicles from the ground up. The system will deliver unprecedented inference performance through novel edge processing, allowing vehicles to see farther and make driving decisions faster than humans while consuming minimal amounts of energy. We're looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Recogni's enormous potential.
Backed by Celesta Capital, Continental, Robert Bosch, GreatPoint Ventures, Toyota AI Ventures, BMW i Ventures, The Mayfield Fund, and other leading VC partners, the company is headquartered in San Jose, California with additional operations in Munich, Germany. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow - whether you're just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you'll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact
About the role:
Recogni is looking for a Vice President of Finance to develop and lead all finance efforts and act as a strategic
business partner for the leadership team. This individual will be working closely with our CEO and will provide
tactical and strategic support in all aspects of our finances. Because Recogni has grown so rapidly, you must
be willing and able to contribute at all levels, from spreadsheet modeling to working across the entire team
to supporting the CEO and Board of Directors.
• Manage the Company's finance activities and act as a partner to the CEO and leadership team
• Developing and maintaining necessary accounting policies and systems and building an accounting
department as the company grows
• Develop commercial bid and proposal process to support profitable business growth
• Establish department budget and reporting process
• Ensure accurate financial reporting, metrics tracking, and analytical support
• Overseeing transactions related to the general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial
• Coordinating, preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
• Ensuring a smooth audit process by creating and maintaining internal controls, establishing and
maintaining immaculate record keeping, managing the audit process with Big 4 firms and providing
• Provide input and analysis to support management decision making
• Create financial forecasts and monitor performance versus plan to keep the Company on track to
meet and exceed its financial goals
• Build the financial infrastructure for a growing global start up
• Implement additional financial systems, processes, and controls per best practices.
• Manage company budgeting and support resource allocation decisions.
• Be able to hire, train, and manage additional team members.
• Help with ad hoc financial projects and develop operational capabilities.
• Support future capital raises, M&A, and investor relations.
• Coordinating corporate tax reporting and preparation of tax returns with outside tax accountants
• Leading financial planning, budgeting and reporting and creating and maintaining budgeting tools
• Assisting senior executives in planning, budgeting and results management
• Interacting with the board of directors
• Providing strategic guidance around capital financing options to support the startup's growth
• Developing the corporate fundraising strategy and managing relationships with partners and
• 10-15+ years of experience managing financial operations, ideally for a high-growth venture-capital-
• Bachelor's degree required; concentration in accounting or finance preferred
• CPA, Big 4 experience, and/or recent experience scaling a finance team from inception to $10
million+ in annual revenues or 75+ full-time employees preferred
• Strong knowledge of corporate finance and other accounting theory, principles and practices to
include GAAP, SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & accrued revenue.
• Solid experience with financial analysis and forecasting, including experience with three statement
financial modeling, preparing statistical reports and making recommendations based on analysis and
• Mastery knowledge of Microsoft Office; accounting software including QuickBooks, Xero, NetSuite,
Expensify and Bill.com; and budgeting software such as Grow, Domo, and Spotlight
• Comfort in the startup environment (i.e., sometimes chaotic and lacking structure) and able to create
structure and foundational accounting processes
• Strong priority management skills
• Proven experience leading, managing and hiring a team
• Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to work with various internal
and external stakeholders
• Proactive, solution-oriented approach to all activities
• Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy while working independently
Education and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree in business or finance-related majors is required
• An MBA or CPA is desirable
• Reasonable workspace that includes a desk
• Reliable internet access
• Able to flex hours to support needs of leaders in different time zones
Reasons to consider joining Recogni:
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; be part of shaping one of the most exciting new companies.
- Learning and development opportunities from a highly diverse and talented peer group, including experts in a wide range of fields, from Artificial Intelligence & Computer Vision to Systems & Device Engineering.
- Competitive benefits package including 401k, Medical+Dental+Vision+Life insurance, and Short+Long Term Disability coverage
- Perks including meals, snacks, drinks and us!
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Employee Stock Plan
- Flexible work hours & generous PTO policy
Recogni's culture was built on the following values that are equally important to us as business:
- Put people first. We only succeed when our people succeed.
- Ethics and integrity always; Being open, honest, and respectful of everyone.
- Think Big. Be ambitious and have audacious goals.
- Aim for excellence. Quality and excellence count in everything we do.
- Own it and get it done. Results matter!
- Make Each Person Better together than they would be as an individual.
- Embrace each others' differences.
- Embrace that there will be differences.
Recogni is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that a diverse team is better at tackling complex problems and coming up with innovative solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don't reach out to Recogni employees or leaders about our roles -- we've got it covered. We don't accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you for your understanding.