Location: San Jose, CA
Team: Mental Health Services - Clinical Services Team /
Work Type: Full-Time
The Hope Services Counseling Center is hiring full-time, fully benefited Therapeutic Behavioral Specialists to work with children and young adults (5-21 years old) with intellectual disabilities and mental health issues under the Therapeutic Behavioral Services (TBS) Program. Behavioral Specialists are part of a mental health multi-disciplinary team. TBS is a community-based program.
Hope Services is the Bay Area's largest non-profit agency, providing a wide array of quality services for persons with developmental disabilities for over 60 years! We offer an OUTSTANDING benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) Retirement, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Generous Paid Vacation and Sick Time accrual plans and more!
Hourly pay rate: $ 24.00 - $ 28.00 commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities of the Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist:
1. Provides 1:1 assessment, training and follow up in the consumer's home and community as identified in their Mental Health and TBS assessments
2. Implements positive behavior programs for qualified clients in the community.
3. Assure compliance with safety and confidentiality standards.
4. Acts as a program monitor for assigned clients. Complete required forms and accountability documentation, incident reports, case notes, termination, client attendance, billing, and other required documentation.
5. Performs behavioral interventions as prescribed.
6. Assess and document client progress, performs quality control.
7. Maintains all assigned client case records. Participates in case reviews and goal planning. Schedule transportation, prepare required documentation, reporting.
8. Responsible for maintaining a professional relationship with consumers, parents, care providers, co-workers and appropriate others. Represents HOPE in the community.
9. Acts as advocate on behalf of clients served, providing intervention and consultation as needed.
10. Acts as a mandated abuse reporter.
11. Perform other duties, as assigned, to assure efficiency of program services.
Minimum Qualifications: The Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist should possess a Bachelor's degree in Psychology or its equivalent as approved by SCCMH.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of the Therapeutic Behavioral Specialist:
1. Interest and ability to understand and relate to children with developmental/mental health disabilities and behavioral challenges.
2. Working knowledge of handling aggressive/assaultive behaviors.
3. Ability to relate in a positive and constructive manner with clients, their families, the community and staff members.
4. Ability to accept supervision and work cooperatively as a member of the counseling support team
5. Ability to observe, evaluate, document and communicate verbally and in writing, client performance and social behavior.
6. Knowledge and understanding of psychological and mental health disabilities, alternative communication systems and assistive technology.
7. Utilization of critical thinking skills in decision making situations, good organizational and record keeping skills.
8. Maintain valid CPR and First Aid certification.
9. Knowledge and commitment to the principles and concepts of normalization and a commitment to enhance community integration of adults with developmental disabilities
10. Flexible, positive and cooperative approach to scheduling and task prioritization in a consumer-driven environment.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference?
Inspire and be inspired! Hope Services takes immense pride in maximizing our employee engagement. Will you join us??
Winner, 100 Best Places to Work, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal!
Visit www.hopeservices.org to find out more about us and the people we serve.
Hope Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected characteristic. In addition to federal law requirements, Hope Services complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.