Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location / Division
San Jose, CA | Sunnyvale, CA | Austin, TX / Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry
How will you make an impact?
We are looking for an ambitious, talented, and self-motivated individual, who will serve as a technical leader and help us to define and build out our next generation platform. In this role, you will be responsible for defining the architecture, delivering the platform and application strategy, and capabilities that supports the organization’s business strategy.
The role requires working collaboratively across the Technology, Product and Commercial organizations to ensure alignment towards business goals. In this role, you will build strong relationships with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders.
What will you do?
- Lead and direct the efforts of globally located development teams
- Lead and mentor a team of Software Engineers to allow for skill/knowledge development through advice, coaching, career planning and training opportunities
- Coordinate with stakeholders, product management to determine software solution requirements
- Manage the development, deployment, and integration of software solutions
- Confidently and professionally present and defends recommended solution, approach, timeline
- Stay up to date with new technologies and determine how to incorporate these into future platform capabilities
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders
- Share business and technical learning's with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting approach for different audiences
- Work collaboratively across the Technology, UX, and Product organizations to ensure alignment towards business goals
How will you get here?
- BS degree in software engineering or related field
- 10+ years in Software Engineering role
- 3+ years of experience leading a software team. Offshore team leading experience a plus.
- Extensive experience in developing, deploying, and integrating large software solutions
- Demonstrated experience with .NET and C#
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing production software and cloud deployment strategies
- Proven experience with a commercial cloud platform (eg AWS), integrating distributing computing environments with the cloud
- Deep understanding of API design, including versioning, isolation and micro-services. Experience developing REST and GraphQL APIs
- Experience designing and documenting internal and external (commercial) APIs using API documentation frameworks (e.g. Apiary, Swagger)
- Experience collaborating with cross functional teams
- Experience with Multi-geography, distributed teams
- Proven experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative methodologies
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to lead and mentor junior and less experience team members
- Ability to provide in-depth evaluation and analysis of unique complex technological issues
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Life Science experience
- Distributed Software Platform experience
Keywords: Distributed architecture, Cloud, REST, SOA, AWS, Azure, ESB, .NET, C#, SQL, NoSQL, RDF, Graph
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.