Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Our incredible technologies within AIG make a real difference to our customers and support our mission. We enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are protecting our cities, ensuring the availability of clean drinking water or monitoring the safety of our food supply, they all have a common goal – providing test data that allows for the right decisions to be made. Our customers are the focus of everything we do and we provide them the instruments, equipment, software and services to do what they do best. AIG is a global business and includes roughly 10,000 colleagues around the world. More specifically the Staff Scientist role is part of the Chromotography and Mass Spectrometry Life Science Division located in San Jose, CA. At this site, we offer customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments and software services that support customers within proteomics, clinical research, forensic toxicology, pharmaceutical, biotech, food safety, and environmental market segments.
How will you make an impact?
This opportunity is part of the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry division which delivers market-leading diagnostics solutions. Our solutions help customers advance science, become more efficient, and improve their bottom lines. Our offerings shape the lab of the future by accelerating innovation and driving productivity. In short, it is our goal to make labs work the way laypeople think they do -- with cloud-connected, instantaneous information, available seamlessly to scientists across the lab. This role is based in San Jose, CA. This role will contribute to the development of new technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher Scientific’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
What will you do?
- As part of the Research and Development team, conduct leading-edge research and development in the field of mass spectrometry.
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging and characterizing prototypes in order to verify proof of principle.
- Test and verify new products or improvements.
- Provide guidance and leadership to mechanical and electrical engineers in order to design prototypes and new products.
- Given the interdisciplinary nature of Life Science Mass Spectrometry, this role will require familiarity and interplay with the entire hardware team and several cross functional teams within marketing, product support and operations.
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories and may contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
- May participate in the development of patent applications.
- May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree in Analytical Chemistry, Physics, or related discipline and at least 6 years of experience in a product development lab, designing and developing analytical instrumentation; or Master’s degree with 4 years related experience; or PhD with 2 years related experience; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in developing Hardware and Software for analytical instruments, in particular the design of mass spectrometers required.
- Practical knowledge of quadrupole mass filters and ion traps technologies, ion optics design, ion sources design, high vacuum systems design required.
- Working knowledge of ion trajectory simulation software (SIMION, CPO or similar) required.
- Practical knowledge of mass spectrometry and its applications, experience with HPLC methods, and ability to run relevant experiments required.
- Familiarity with Python, C or C++ programming a plus.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.