Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 107,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 160 countries we serve.
ABOUT ABBOTT HEMATOLOGY:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior R&D Software Engineer will be a critical technical contributor in the development and maintenance of firmware for complex electromechanical Abbott Hematology instruments. The Hematology organization is an exciting phase with its flagship product and is looking to expand its technical expertise within the software organization.
This is a challenging role that will require an individual with proven experience delivering high quality systems in a regulated environment. In this role, you will be the technical resident expert on firmware and the hardware to software boundary while bringing strong focus on process, good practices and techniques required to deliver quality software. This position will report to the Manager of SW development. The development team consists of 10 developers.
The role will be responsible for providing design and development expertise for development of current and next generation applications that meet product requirements. This covers the process from initial concept, requirement development, implementation, testing and on field support after releases. Being in between the hardware and software realm, prototyping and integration activities will form a large part of this job while there will be an equal focus on ensuring the on-market firmware is maintainable. The position requires both the ability to develop plans working the development manager.
As a Senior engineer, there will be a leadership element as a technical expert by driving designs, design reviews and design improvements with focus on good practices and User Experience design. Coaching and mentoring other developers will constitute 10-20% of the week.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Engineering, science or a closely related discipline is desired) or equivalent technical experience and demonstrated competence; additional post-graduate education may contribute toward the desired years of experience;
- Typically requires 5+ years of significant engineering and / or operational experience to develop the competence to meet the skills and responsibilities of the position; Engineers trained in one branch of the Engineering field may work in related branches of engineering provided demonstrated transferable skills.
- Bachelor or Master of Eng/Computer Science or technology related tertiary education
- 7+ years of firmware development
- Familiarity with SPI, I2C, CAN, and other serial interfaces
- Linux experience and interfacing with motor controllers, analog and digital I/O, and other peripherals in Linux
- 2+ years of SW design experience; design lead is preferred
- Knowledge in and experience using C++, Design Patterns, and UML is a plus
- Experience in medical devices or in a regulated industry (e.g. FDA, Aerospace, Defense) developing complex electromechanical systems is strongly preferred
- Experience with Scrum/Agile software development methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and apply to products is a must
- Winning, can do attitude. Innovative, results oriented approach. Team oriented. Possesses leadership skills
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with on-boarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.