Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer, Fluidics Systems.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Senior Mechanical Engineer within Abbott Hematology is a critical part of the new product development organization and contributes directly to new feature development, system reliability and performance improvement projects. Hematology analyzers and related products are highly complex fluidic systems where delivering a reliable and high performing product is essential to customer success. The senior mechanical engineer completes professional level engineering assignments related to a specific field or discipline. Leads and participates in projects involving the Design, development, validation, and manufacture of complex instrument subassemblies, systems or processes. Responsibilities also include implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Performs assignments of a very complicated or difficult nature requiring a high degree of technical competence.
- Plans, organizes, and conducts technical projects.
- Consolidates results of design elements of major projects for purpose of design review.
- Uses engineering principles to conduct technical investigations involved with the modification of material, component, or process specifications and requirements.
- Conceives and plans projects to explore product or process problems, defines and selects new concepts and approaches to the design or development of new or improved products or processes Applies the results of reviews of literature, patents, and current practices to the solution of current problems.
- Forms and suggests ideas to support the strategic technical direction of the area, Provide technical guidance to less experienced engineers, designers, and technicians.
- Formulates detailed plans for execution by other less experienced engineers.
- Provide input on potential candidates to be hired into the team, Interface with product team members, PCB designers, manufacturing or design engineer, R&D, marketing, regulatory (internal), site engineering, Instrument Development managers, and operations.
- Synthesizes Proven Approaches: Integrates multiple approaches to solve problems or optimize solutions in complex or cross functional manufacturing processes or product designs.
- Creates/Modifies Subsystems Designs for Complex Problems: Integrates subsystems and components in total systems designs, develops specifications from customer requirements.
- Integrates Multiple Project Plans: Establishes and reviews complex plans for multiple activities/ projects or plans highly complex personal projects, monitors and takes corrective action for processes and systems.
- Translates Regulatory Requirements into Validation Process: Creates efficient protocols for validation of complex system functions and defines validation process.
- Exchanges Information: Exchanges information with appropriate frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and promote cross functional collaboration, verifies that information is understood by the recipient.
- Adapts Information to Customer Needs: Delivers communications tailored to the needs of the receiver (Managers, peers, customer) Makes Presentations: Defines purpose and objectives, organizes ideas, prepares A-V aids, keeps to time frame and presents intelligibly., Actively Listens: Listen actively to acquire information and understand the others viewpoint.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or closely related discipline with five or more years progressive work experience.
- Four to six years progressive work experience.
- Knowledge of fluidics components such as pumps, fittings and valves
- Knowledge of chemical interaction on materials
- Fundemental understanding of fluid mechanics
- Experience with Labview to develop bench level test assemblies
- Experience and understanding of reliability of complex systems
- Knowledge of biomedical devices / technologies
- Experience with SolidWorks
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.