PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re
recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and
services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus,
PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and
embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for
innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Senior Combat Designer
San Mateo, CA
PixelOpus is one of 18 Global Game Development Studios within the PlayStation Studios family.
Located at PlayStation's HQ in San Mateo, CA, this unique innovative studio is looking for a
highly skilled senior combat designer to work on our most ambitious game yet. Our ideal candidate
is an expert in the areas of hero control/mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons,
class design, skills/progression, and boss encounters. Reporting to the Lead Designer, this
position will work alongside other game designers, sharing their hard earned combat design
expertise to help us create an incredible new combat experience for our players.
- Design and develop combat gameplay, including enemy AI and boss designs from concept to
- Analyze fun factor and comprehension of combat, identifying issues and opportunities for
- Write and maintain clear and concise documentation for feature specs, mechanics, and
- Rapidly prototype new concepts in UE5 to test feasibility
- Blueprints & behavior tree scripting to develop and tune gameplay systems
- Collaborate with animation, engineering, audio, art, visual effects to deliver extraordinary
feeling combat experience
- Encounter layout and gameplay tuning in collaboration with level design and narrative
- Balance combat difficulty progression, embracing regular play-testing as a key part of the
- 4+ years working experience in Console Game industry
- 2+ years in a combat design role on an action game for console/PC that shipped
- Proven track record to implement heroes, enemies, bosses or combat systems
- Passion for combat games and their game mechanics
- Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail
- High quality communication skills, able to convey abstract concepts verbally, and in
- Excellent partnership skills - especially interdepartmental - we foster an inclusive and
collaborative work space
- Scripting experience (e.g. visual scripting, Lua, C# or python)
- Computer Science or Game Design degree a plus
- Unreal Engine experience preferred
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment
without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender
reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or
belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or
maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We
encourage everyone to respond.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.