Under general direction, a Senior Accountant plans, organizes, and performs complex, professional, and technical accounting duties in the analysis, preparation, and maintenance of financial records, reports, and systems, for assigned Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) programs and business activities, in accordance with VTA policies and procedures, legal requirements, and professional standards and supervises other accounting personnel.
Senior Accountant is the expert level professional class in the Accounting Series, and is the first supervisory level. An incumbent in this class performs highly complex and technical accounting and financial analyses to provide accurate and timely financial reports to VTA management, other governmental agencies, and the public to support sound decision-making and ensure appropriate public disclosure and accountability. Work requires the exercise of a high degree of independent judgment based on thorough knowledge of VTA's business activities and financial management practices and procedures.
Senior Accountant is distinguished from Accountant III in that an incumbent in the former class serves as a subject expert in a particular area, supervises other accounting personnel, and performs more difficult, complex, and sensitive work of greater VTA-wide impact.
Classification Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Essential Job Functions
* Evaluates the performance of assigned staff; interviews and recommends selection of job candidates; orients and trains unit staff; establishes and/or recommends performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; recommends disciplinary action, up to and including termination;
* Plans, organizes, controls, integrates, and evaluates the work of staff in assigned areas, including budget control, cash management and operations, capital projects and accounts receivable, treasury, general ledger, payroll, fixed assets, and revenue services;
* Develops, implements, and monitors work plans to achieve goals and objectives; supervises and participates in developing, implementing, and evaluating plans, work processes, systems, and procedures to achieve annual goals, objectives, and work standards;
* Plans, coordinates, supervises, and/or participates in the preparation of special and/or detailed financial and accounting reports;
* Performs highly technical and complex accounting analysis, research, calculations, and data compilation in compliance with VTA, state, federal and other reporting requirements;
* Plans, reviews, and ensures accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of accounting data in assigned areas; as required or requested, analyzes and evaluates information, presents findings, and/or recommends courses of action to management;
* Plans, organizes, and ensures timely completion of monthly and year end financial closings; supervises or generates and reviews monthly and year-end financial statements, along with supporting schedules and reports; reviews statements, schedules, and reports for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with legal and professional standards;
* Participates in developing, maintaining, and ensuring optimal utilization of SAP financial accounting information systems; verifies the accuracy and completeness of information generated; identifies, diagnoses, and resolves problems; recommends system improvements; trains departmental staff on the operations and reporting capabilities of the system; assists other departments in formulating queries and generating special reports; designs and implements controls for data input and output; designs and creates custom financial reports; creates, maintains, and updates procedures manual related to accounting functions;
* Consults with and provides expert assistance to VTA management, other departments, internal and external auditors, and vendors; works with staff of other departments to resolve technical accounting issues and problems;
* Maintains, reviews, and participates in developing and recommending improvements to accounting policies, processes, and procedures; designs, implements, and improves daily work and month-end processes and procedures to ensure accurate and complete information within established time frames;
* Monitors professional developments in the field, evaluates their impact on VTA policies and operations, and recommends changes and improvements where warranted;
* Performs related duties as required.
Sufficient training, education, and public or private sector experience to demonstrate possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Development of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is typically obtained through a combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a four-year degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a closely related field, and four years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience, at least one year of which was in a lead or supervisory capacity.
* Experience in a public agency is preferred.
* A Master's degree in Business Administration with emphasis in accounting or Certified Public Accountant license may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
* License as a Certified Public Accountant is desirable.
* Enterprise Resource Planning System experience is desirable.
* Principles, practices, and terminology of general, fund and governmental accounting, including financial statement preparation and methods of financial control and reporting;
* Internal control and audit principles and practices;
* Laws and regulations relating to the financial administration of public agencies and transportation authorities in the State of California;
* Laws and regulations governing fund transfer agreement compliance and their application to governmental accounting and budgeting;
* VTA functions and associated financial management and reporting issues;
* Principles and practices of business data processing particularly related to the processing of accounting and financial information;
* Principles and practices of supervision and training.
* Operate a computer using word processing and spreadsheet and other standard business and financial software;
* Analyze and evaluate complex financial and accounting information and reach sound professional conclusions and recommendations;
* Evaluate financial and accounting systems and programs and make recommendations for improvement;
* Understand, interpret, explain, and apply VTA policies, state and federal laws and regulations, and applicable professional standards regarding VTA financial accounting, reporting, and record keeping;
* Develop and implement financial procedures and internal controls;
* Prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive financial statements, schedules, reports, and other written materials;
* Exercise sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines;
* Plan, direct, and supervise the work of others;
* Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with management, staff, auditors, vendors and others encountered in the course of work.
Please read this entire job announcement before applying for the position. Print and keep a copy of this announcement so that you can refer to it. Questions not answered within this job announcement may be sent to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be submitted online to the Human Resources department by the stated closing time and date posted. When the stated closing date is "continuous," apply immediately; the position may close without notice.
You will receive an immediate email confirming receipt of your submitted application. If you do not receive this email, contact NEOGOV'sApplicant Assistance Line at (855) 524-5627 between 8:00AMto 5:00PM(PST) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Only on-line applications will be accepted for this recruitment (paper applications or resumes will not be accepted). Job Interest Notification Cards, or copies of previous, partial, or un-submitted applications, are not an acceptable substitute to a completed application.
ALL APPLICATION AND TESTING NOTIFICATIONS WILL BE SENT BY E-MAIL. Applicants should select e-mail as the preferred method of notification. Candidates must maintain an up-to-date, valid and reliable e-mail address. Candidates are also responsible for maintaining up-to-date phone numbers and addresses on their on-line account. Due to the number of applications received, candidates must check their application status through their on-line account. Contact NeoGov for assistance if needed.
Information on how to apply for jobs at the VTA is available on the VTA Employment website and from theNEOGOV'sApplicant Assistance Line (855) 524-5627. NeoGovApplicant support is available from 8:00AMto 5:00PM(PST) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Americans with Disabilities Act Accommodations
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you wish to request an accommodation, please click here.
Application Processing Information
All related current and past work experience (including VTA experience) must be listed and fully described in the Work Experience section of the application ("See Resume" is not acceptable). Incomplete or improperly completed online applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position you are applying for. Although your resume may have all your experience and education details, please make sure to complete each section of the online application to ensure that your information is accurately captured during our screening process.
Important: Proof of Education, either as a copy of a diploma or transcript, is required to verify all educational units listed on your application. Official transcripts are not necessary. Copies of diplomas, degrees, transcripts, or foreign transcript evaluations must be attached to the submitted application as a pdf.
Note: Failure to provide all of the required documents in the appropriate format (pdf ONLY), and properly labeled as shown in the example (for example: Smith_J BS Diploma), will result in the application being rejected as incomplete. No exceptions will be made.
Note: Applicants holding degrees or credentials from outside the United States who are using these qualifications exclusively to qualify for a position are required to provide a foreign transcript evaluation as a pdf and properly labeled as shown above. Failure to provide a foreign transcript evaluation will result in the application being rejected as incomplete. No exceptions will be made.
All applications are subject to review as to meeting minimum qualifications at any point in the recruitment process. Passing any step is no guarantee of continuation if it is determined that the applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the class specification.
Candidates found to have exaggerated/falsified their qualifications, experience, training, and/or education may be disqualified at any point in the recruitment process and may be denied future employment with the VTA.
If selected for the position, candidates will be required to complete a criminal conviction disclosure form. Candidates who successfully become VTA employees, and fail to disclose any of the criminal background information as required may be subject to discipline up to and including discharge.
Eligible Lists typically remain in effect for six (6) months. However, Human Resources may abolish Eligible Lists at any time during the six (6) month period. Human Resources may extend eligible Lists for up to two (2) years. Eligible Lists may be used for more than one recruitment. If you have questions related to an Eligible List you might be on or were on, you should contact Human Resources.
If you have questions regarding your status as an applicant for this position, please call the Human Resources Department at (408) 321-5575 or email at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
VTA is an equal employment opportunity employer. VTA does not and will not tolerate discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age, ancestry, color, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, national origin, immigration status, political affiliation, race, religion, creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, medical condition, disabled veteran or veteran status, etc.