Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Principal Software Engineer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Principal Engineer within Abbott Hematology is responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system. This is a challenging role that will require an individual with proven experience delivering high quality systems in a regulated environment. In this role, you will technically lead the development team by bringing strong focus on process, good practices and techniques required to deliver quality software.
The role will be responsible for providing architecture, design and development expertise for development of current and next generation applications that meet product requirements. This covers the process from initial concept, requirement development, implementation, testing and on field support after releases. The position requires both the ability to develop plans.
The role will involve collaborating with software and system architects as well as key stakeholders (commercial team, test engineers and customers) to ensure the application fits the intended use and within system concepts.
As a principal engineer, there will be a leadership element as a technical expert by driving designs, design reviews and design improvements with focus on good practices and User Experience design. Coaching and mentoring other developers will constitute 20% of the week.
- May provide technical consultation to technical staff concerning problems within a specific area of engineering or for a specific project Recommend methods or corrections in technical reviews to insure project completion.
- Applies the results of reviews of literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the business, uses results to determine strategic technical direction.
- Plan and direct major technical phases of projects within a specific area of design, provides technical direction to and coordinates the efforts of engineers and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects.
- Provides input to the team manager on staffing decisions.
- Leads or enables project completion., Interface with product team members, PCB designers, test design engineers, R&D, marketing, regulatory (internal), site engineering, Instrument Development managers, and operations and business unit managers.
- Communicates with outside decision makers in a manner appropriate to the goals of the communication.
- Applies Systems Thinking: Optimizes solutions from a systems point of view by taking into account the effect of any change on other parts of the systems and supporting functions.
- Designs/Modifies Complex Systems: Designs/Modifies complex/ high level systems architecture requiring multi-disciplinary expertise or in-depth knowledge in a single discipline, defines parameters and boundaries for lower level design activities.
- Integrates Multiple Project Plans: Establishes and reviews complex plans for multiple activities/ projects or plans highly complex personal projects, monitors and takes corrective action for processes and systems., Translates Regulatory Requirements into Validation Process: Creates efficient protocols for validation of complex system functions and defines validation process.
- Shares Resources, Knowledge and Accountability: Shares resources and knowledge, assures the team takes accountability, draws on strengths of each team member.
- Serves in Multiple Team Roles: Serves as leader, contributor, facilitator, consultant, technical expert, arbitrator, evaluator according to the needs of the team and task.
- Initiates Decisions: Makes timely and effective decisions, considers alternatives, uses sound judgment, achieves closure on work Confronts Issues: Confronts issues in a constructive manner and at an appropriate organizational level, perseveres in the face of adversity.
- Identify Future Development Needs: Translates changes in business goals and objectives into the skills, knowledge and experience needed for future work Plans for and Achieves Development: Prepares a plan that sets appropriate development goals, establishes timelines to fulfill development needs, balances the time needed for accomplishing current work and achieving development goals.
- Evaluate Risk/Reward Trade Offs: Evaluate risks of alternatives, recommend actions and develop strategies to cope with various scenarios., Defines Applications for New Technologies: Develops and implements operational strategy to achieve critical success factors for serving new applications.
- Contributes to Business Strategies: Evaluate technical trends, processes, and methods to contribute to the development of long-term business strategies., Creates or Advances Technology: Advances recognized leading edge technologies in a technical field, fosters an environment of innovation in others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or closely related discipline with eight or more progressive work experience.
- 8 or more years of progressive development work experience.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics
- Proven experience in technical leadership of a software development team
- Experienced with development of complex systems
- High level competency with C++
- Strong knowledge and experience using Design Patterns and UML
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and apply to products is a must
- Winning, can do attitude. Innovated, results oriented approach
- Team oriented
- Experience with C and Python is a plus
- Experience with Scrum/Agile software development methodologies is preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.