Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
For years, Abbott’s medical device businesses have offered technologies that are faster, more effective, and less invasive. Whether it’s glucose monitoring systems, innovative therapies for treating heart disease, or products that help people with chronic pain or movement disorders, our medical device technologies are designed to help people live their lives better and healthier. Every day, our technologies help more than 10,000 people have healthier hearts, improve quality of life for thousands of people living with chronic pain and movement disorders, and liberate more than 500,000 people with diabetes from routine ﬁngersticks.
Abbott Vascular provides innovative, minimally invasive and cost-effective products for treatment of vascular disease. Our extensive portfolio includes drug-eluting stents, bare metal stents, guide wires, balloon dilatation catheters, imaging catheters and software, vessel closure devices and peripheral stents
Our location in Santa Clara, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Principal Nurse, Occupational Health and Safety.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Nurse Practitioner/OH Nurse is a principal, clinical position responsible for diagnosis and treatment of work related and personal injuries and medical surveillance. It is a front line, hands on clinical practitioner dedicated to support treatment within a large organizational setting for Abbott Vascular, Santa Clara site.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
Provides for and delivers health care services to workers and worker populations within an occupational setting to assist ill and injured employees to reach maximum health and productivity. Functions as a clinical case manager and coordinates an individual client's health care services across multiple systems from the onset of injury or illness to a safe return to work or an optimal alternative. Care is coordinated with a focus on achieving quality care delivered in a cost-effective manner. Using a unique knowledge of employees, their social or family system, and the work environment, the occupational health nurse assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates the care for clients. Practices within the parameters of professional licensure to ensure consistency with legal, labor, regulatory and corporate requirements.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
1. Collaborates with management and the broad Environmental, Health and Safety staff to carry out mutual corporate objectives.
2. Acts as a professional health resource for the organization's management in planning and maintaining initiatives and programs that meet defined goals and objectives.
3. Provides initial assessment of occupational injuries, illnesses and exposures and may treat or refer for further evaluation as necessary in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols.
4. Assesses the broad spectrum of client needs, including physical and psychosocial factors, using data from various sources including, but not limited to aggregate case/ claims experience, employer representatives, other health care providers, health records, and third party representatives.
5. Assesses non-occupational sudden illnesses occurring at work, determines the immediacy of treatment, and gives guidance to seek care from emergency/personal health care providers.
6. Develops a plan of nursing care based on identified needs and problems and assists with the development of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention and health promotion strategies to optimize health and prevent injuries and illnesses.
7. Develops processes for identifying situations that require early intervention to maximize desired outcomes.
8. Identifies client goals, objectives, and actions in a comprehensive case management plan and implements interventions to achieve desired outcomes within designated time frames.
9. Coordinates nursing process to generate consistent documentation of treatment, interactive process and administrative aspects.
10. Establishes generic and specific communication plans involving internal and external parties, as appropriate.
11. Identifies qualifications and expectations for, and monitors and evaluates outcomes and quality of services delivered by health care providers and vendors in the treatment and rehabilitation network.
12. Collaborates with treatment, rehabilitation providers, third party representatives to coordinate/provide for the appropriate care, treatment and follow-up of work related health events based on knowledge of the specific work environment for optimal outcomes.
13. Assists supervisors and employees with return to work issues including work restrictions, modified scheduling and job accommodations.
14. Provides health-related counseling for supervisors and employees within the scope of nursing knowledge and practice.
15. Conducts workplace walkthroughs/assessments and exposure follow-up.
16. Maintains and safeguards privacy and confidentiality of business and protected health information.
17. Participates in the development of related policies, procedures and work instructions.
18. Identifies researchable problems and participates in studies and projects according to research skills.
19. Assumes responsibility for professional development and continuing education to ensure competency and performance consistent with professional Occupational Health Nursing standards.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
Understands business environment and relates extensive knowledge of internal and external activities to trends. Interfaces with a variety of management levels on significant matters, often requiring the coordination of activity across organizational units. Participates in the development of others by facilitating training and providing feedback and guidance. May lead a project team. Provides technical leadership to business units. Acts as a mentor to less experienced staff. Exercises judgment independently. Plans and organizes project assignments of substantial variety and complexity. Initiates or maintains schedule for projects and project milestones. Establishes priorities of individual or project assignments. Selects methods and techniques to lead a project to completion. Erroneous decisions or recommendations
would typically result in failure to achieve organizational objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING:
Bachelor's degree plus 5+ years of clinical related work experience with a complete understanding of specified functional area, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Extensive clinical experience. Comprehensive knowledge and application business concepts, procedures and practices.
Uses in-depth knowledge of business unit functions and cross group dependencies/ relationships. Is recognized as an expert in work group. Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Has broad knowledge of various technical alternatives and their potential impact on the business.
Certified Nurse Practitioner, Licensed California Registered Nurse, or Certified Occupational Health Nurse Specialist, all with relevant experience. Advanced degree preferrable.
WHAT WE OFFER :
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future.
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.