Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for a Principal Data Scientist, Systems Engineering.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Principal Data Scientist, Systems Engineer within Abbott Hematology is a critical part of the new product development organization and contributes directly to system reliability and performance improvement projects. Hematology analyzers and related products generate many result parameters for each blood sample processed, as well as instrument sensor and software log data that quickly generates large data sets.Analysis and interpretation of these data sets allows for better decision making and facilitates robust technical conclusions and reports. The data scientist, systems engineer consistently on an on-going basis, develops and applies advanced theories, methods, and research techniques to the investigation and solution of complex technical problems. Leads and participates in projects involving the feasibility design, development, validation, and manufacture of complex instrument subassemblies, systems or processes. Responsibilities also include implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Derives value and produces actionable insights out of the interpretation of large and varied company data sources
- Builds tools and visualization dashboards to automate data analysis processes
- Builds business decision confidence and communicates business results through data
- Analyze, evaluate and plan methods of approach to to achieve the solution of complex technical problems.
- Conducts investigations of considerable complexity pertaining to the development of new designs, methods, materials, or processes, and investigates possible applications of the results.
- May provide technical consultation to technical staff through technical reviews and report generation to insure project completion.
- Applies the results of reviews of literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the business, uses results to determine strategic technical direction.
- Plan and direct major technical phases of projects within a specific area of design, provides technical direction to and coordinates the efforts of engineers and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects.
- Provides input to the team manager on staffing decisions.
- Applies Systems Thinking: Optimizes solutions from a systems point of view by taking into account the effect of any change on other parts of the systems and supporting functions.
- Shares Resources, Knowledge and Accountability: Shares resources and knowledge, assures the team takes accountability, draws on strengths of each team member.
- Serves in Multiple Team Roles: Serves as leader, contributor, facilitator, consultant, technical expert, arbitrator, evaluator according to the needs of the team and task.
- Initiates Decisions: Makes timely and effective decisions, considers alternatives, uses sound judgment, achieves closure on work Confronts Issues: Confronts issues in a constructive manner and at an appropriate organizational level, perseveres in the face of adversity.
- Identify Future Development Needs: Translates changes in business goals and objectives into the skills, knowledge and experience needed for future work Plans for and Achieves Development: Prepares a plan that sets appropriate development goals, establishes timelines to fulfill development needs, balances the time needed for accomplishing current work and achieving development goals.
- Evaluate Risk/Reward Trade Offs: Evaluate risks of alternatives, recommend actions and develop strategies to cope with various scenarios., Defines Applications for New Technologies: Develops and implements operational strategy to achieve critical success factors for serving new applications.
- Contributes to Business Strategies: Evaluate technical trends, processes, and methods to contribute to the development of long-term business strategies.
- Creates or Advances Technology: Advances recognized leading edge technologies in a technical field, fosters an environment of innovation in others.
- Establishes and defines the theoretical bases and principles which should apply, the empirical test procedures to be used, and the estimated time, expense and manpower for completion.
- Reviews, generates, and approves related inputs such as drawings and specifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or closely related discipline with eight or more progressive work experience.
- 8 or more years of progressive development work experience.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics
- Strong problem solving skills for the purpose of product development
- Languages: R, Python, Matlab, SQL
- Experience in creating data visualization with Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Experience analyzing data using statistical software such as JMP
- Experience with advanced system simulation software such as GoldSim
- Advanced math and statistics skills
- A degree in computer science with domain knowledge in electro-mechanical systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for learning and drive to master new technologies
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.