Kirschbaum Law Group, LLC, a law firm located in West Hartford, Connecticut, is seeking to hire attorneys for a post-conviction criminal defense trial attorney position. This position gives attorneys the immediate opportunity to be lead trial counsel for a full caseload of post-conviction habeas corpus cases for indigent criminal defendants.
This is a remote work position with the opportunity to use our office in West Hartford. Applicants must live in or very close to Connecticut in order to visit incarcerated clients in Connecticut regularly, and to appear in court in Connecticut regularly.
Habeas corpus cases are civil proceedings, but the underlying issues are related to criminal law and criminal procedure. Habeas corpus practice provides an extraordinary opportunity for new attorneys to quickly get significant trial experience, building a foundation for the attorneys to handle any type of litigation, as well as other types of cases. The firm provides extensive training, supervision, and mentoring to help our attorneys develop the skills necessary to provide exceptional representation to our clients.
This would be a good position for people in at least two situations. It is a good position for new attorneys that are seeking to become criminal defense attorneys or trial attorneys. It is also a good position for more experienced attorneys that are seeking to either change their area of practice or to re-enter the workforce after taking a break from practicing law.
We need attorneys that are admitted to the practice of law in Connecticut. We cannot hire attorneys that cannot practice law in Connecticut. Please do not apply for this job unless you are already admitted to the practice of law in Connecticut, or unless you are actively seeking to be admitted to the practice of law in Connecticut, and you reasonably expect that you will be admitted soon.
The starting pay range is $65,000.00 to $73,125.00 with an opportunity to earn more.
You might be a good fit for the position if you satisfy the following criteria:
• You are a good writer. (Good writing requires good thinking, and good thinking is essential.)
• You are comfortable giving and receiving constructive criticism.
• You are conscientious. (Conscientiousness is a combination of orderliness and industriousness.)
• You are detail-oriented. (Details are important.)
• You are honest and candid. (Dishonesty and lack of candidness are toxic.)
• You are mature and responsible.
• You are smart. (Our work is complex, difficult, and important.)
• You are trustworthy and trusting.
• You are well organized.
• You enjoy being part of a team that is doing important work.
• You enjoy working. (We love our work!)
• You have good communication skills.
• You have good computer skills. (The firm is almost entirely paperless, and almost all of our work is done on computers.)
• You have good judgment.
• You have good people skills.
• You understand that miscommunications and misunderstandings are a normal and expected part of interacting with other people, and you have the emotional and social maturity to resolve them efficiently and effectively.
• You understand that work requires constant problem solving, and you enjoy solving problems.
• You understand the importance of systems, and you enjoy working with systems.
The firm administers employment assessments as part of the hiring process.
If you are interested in the position, and you think that you would be a good fit for the position, please submit a resume and a cover letter. If you do not submit a cover letter, your application will not be seriously considered. Your cover letter should explain in detail why the position is appealing to you, and why you think that you would be a good fit for the position. Your cover letter is extremely important. If you cannot submit a cover letter and resume through this platform, you should send your application materials to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé], and you should explain that you saw the job posting on this platform. We have a strong preference to receive cover letters and resumes in PDF format.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Kirschbaum Law Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We make hiring decisions based upon merit. We do not engage in illegal discrimination. We are inclusive. We embrace diversity. We treat everyone with dignity and respect.