Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the design and engineering of complex electromechanical equipment for the manufacture of solar (photovoltaic) cells used in the manufacture of SunPower's world-class products.
The successful candidate must demonstrate broad expertise in electromechanical engineering and design of manufacturing equipment, preferably in the handling and conversion of wires, foils and films. Experience in the photovoltaic or semiconductor industries is a strong benefit.
The Mechanical Design Engineer works within the R&D department on the development of equipment for the manufacture of future generations of solar photovoltaic module products. The Mechanical Design Engineer will work with equipment engineers to design the equipment and tooling needed to support laboratory process/equipment development and technology deployment into high volume manufacturing. Day-to-day activities include (but are not limited to) mechanical design, mechanical analysis, drafting, procurement, assembly and integration of equipment sub-systems and systems into existing or new equipment. Activities also will include daily interfacing with equipment engineers and project management to define design requirements, track progress and collect feedback on the performance of implemented equipment designs
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with process and equipment development team to understand mechanical design requirements for a given project
- Perform advanced electro-mechanical design and analysis of equipment systems and sub-systems
- Interface with controls, software and/or electrical engineers to ensure controlled functionality of actuated electromechanical designs
- Create drawing packages & interface with fabrication vendors to build & deliver parts and/or sub-assemblies
- Support the assembly of parts & functionality testing against requirements to deliver functionally complete electromechanical systems
- Support the integration of mechanical systems into existing and new prototype manufacturing equipment as needed
- Collect operator and engineer feedback on implemented equipment to ensure ongoing functionality and understanding of any functional issues
- Develop knowledge of SunPower business processes and procedures as required to meet project objectives and timelines
- Comply, at all times, with the Environment, Health and Safety and Manufacturing Quality standards, rules and regulations
- Works on problems of broad mechanical scope including static & dynamic mechanical systems, electro-mechanical and pneumatics.
- Can autonomously drive mechanical design projects completion with minimum to no guidance from supervisor(s)
- Builds stable working relationships internally
Teamwork, Collaboration and Influence:
- Organizes and communicates ideas through a variety of channels
- Gains trust and support of peers
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and develop
- Actively participates in team and group work activities
- Collaborates within process/area of responsibility
- Self-starter, comfortable with owning a development project
- Ability to perform assignments under limited supervision
- Seeks guidance, as necessary, from equipment engineers
- Delivers quality work in a timely manner
- Enthusiastic about changing the way our world is powered
Creative Thinking and Innovation:
- Applies well-understood solutions and technologies to solve problems within project scope and constraints
- Applies SunPower values to all aspects of work
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Good understanding of fundamental, theories and principle of Mechanical Engineering and industrial practices of robust equipment design
- Demonstrated proficiency in Solidworks 3D CAD modeling, analysis & drawing packages
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or related fields;
- Experience with:
- Design of roll-to-roll manufacturing equipment AND/OR:
- Design of mechanical systems of high volume manufacturing equipment and/or automation AND/OR:
- Design of complex tooling
- Hands-on, practical experience with equipment development, mechanical assembly and mechanical integration
- Proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Office applications, Oracle, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.