Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
The Cell R&D Laboratory Process Engineer works within the R&D department on the development of processes and equipment needed for the manufacture of future generations of solar photovoltaic module products. The Process Engineer will work with process, equipment and metrology development engineers to support laboratory experimentation, process/equipment development and specification, process/equipment troubleshooting/maintenance, and technology deployment into high volume manufacturing. Day-to-day activities will include (but not be limited to) planning, monitoring and executing R&D experiments, collecting data and observations, and analyzing data and summarizing findings. Activities also will include monitoring process and tool performance, developing and executing control plans and out-of-control activities, problem-solving, troubleshooting and debugging of processes/tools, reporting on process/tool status and plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design, execution and analysis of experiments on exploratory research projects and communicate the findings.
- Collect and summarize data/observations/findings of experimental efforts.
- Acquire, compile, configure data and conduct statistical-based data analysis.
- Learns to use basic scientific or engineering concepts within a designated functional area.
- Support equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Work with equipment suppliers to optimize and extend equipment performance.
- Support process and device troubleshooting and problem-solving efforts.
- Develop process control plans; execute process control plans and out-of-control plans.
- Lead engineering projects pertinent to the role; provide planning, execution and reporting on such projects.
- Work closely with laboratory technicians to support training, operational excellence, occupational health and safety and productivity.
- Develop knowledge of SunPower business processes and procedures as required to meet project objectives and timelines.
- Comply, at all times, with the Environment, Health and Safety and Manufacturing Quality standards, rules and regulations.
- Works on problems of broad scope.
- Can autonomously drive projects to completion with minimum to no guidance from supervisor(s).
- Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can readily be obtained.
- Builds stable working relationships internally.
- Applies problem-solving techniques to provide insight into root causes.
Teamwork, Collaboration and Influence:
- Organizes and communicates ideas through a variety of channels.
- Gains the trust and support of peers.
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and develop.
- Actively participates in team and group work activities.
- Collaborates within process/area of responsibility.
- Regularly exposed to customer requirements and issues that affect customer satisfaction.
- Ability to perform assignments under limited supervision.
- Seeks guidance, as necessary, from more experienced personnel.
- Has ability and personal disposition to suggest continuous improvement projects related to equipment and processes that result in tool, line and wafer process performance (e.g. efficiency gain, step reduction).
Creative Thinking and Innovation:
- Applies well-understood solutions and technologies to solve problems within project scope and constraints.
- Applies SunPower's values to all aspects of work.
Impact and Results Focus:
- Delivers quality work in a timely manner.
- Recognizes economic aspects of the job and relationship to needs of SunPower’s customers.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related fields;
- Good understanding of fundamentals, theories and principles of Engineering, Physics and Chemistry.
- New college graduates are welcome to apply
- Experience and familiarity with mechanical systems including automation and robotics
- Hands-on, practical experience with process and equipment development and troubleshooting on alignment systems and lasers.
- Demonstrated failure analysis experience, demonstrated structured problem-solving experience, demonstrated risk analysis experience (e.g. FMEA, 8D, or similar).
- Demonstrated experience with statistically supported experimentation, as well as statistical software (e.g. JMP, Minitab, R, etc.).
- Proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Office applications, Oracle, JMP.
- Experience with coding (e.g. Python, MATLAB, etc.).
- Self-starter, comfortable with owning a development project.
- Flexible, creative problem solver, willing to adapt to unexpected situations to get results.
- Team player, positive outlook, good at working with diverse groups.
- Enthusiastic about changing the way our world is powered.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.