Requisition ID # 86161
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
Gas Operations is on a mission to become the safest, most reliable gas company in the U.S. As a whole, Gas Operations is responsible for all aspects of PG&E’s gas distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
This classification (position) is represented by Engineers and Scientist of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
This a journey-level engineer job that requires mastery of the Associate level engineer skills and duties and is responsible for performing or leading the engineering and design of more complex projects. Uses independent judgment in applying engineering principles, working with minimal supervision. Works with engineers, project managers, construction personnel, and other business partners in assessing project needs. Responsibilities beyond those of associate Project engineer include, but are not limited to, the following: Develop technical studies and reports, provide guidance to contractors and outside vendors, select and manage engineering contractors in the design of gas transmission station facilities. The responsibility level of this position increases with experience.
Initial assignments from the tasks below will require direction and supervision; with experience, the independence and responsibility will expand and the need for supervision will decrease.
- Assists with or conducts project walk-downs and works with project team, including both internal and external clients, to establish scope of work, schedule, and cost commitments. Gathers technical information from field data and project team.
- Supports development of cost estimates.
- Provide engineering review and input on designs, design reviews, perform calculations, and develop engineering and construction documents.
- Develops, evaluates and recommends alternative project proposals.
- Support Facility Engineering in investigation, troubleshooting, research, and resolution of equipment or systems issues.
- Responsible for participating in FAT (factory acceptance testing) or supplier inspections for equipment on projects.
- Investigates resources required to complete engineering and project-related tasks
- Establishes engineering schedule
- Review designs and provide technical guidance for code compliance
- Manage and control design scope and meet the design schedule
- Obtain key engineering disciplines resources required to complete the design, with support from the PM, if needed
- Functions as “Lead Engineer” when appropriate and in this role oversees and directs the engineering team
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve the engineering work project including the design, constructability, operability and maintainability of gas transmission facilities
- Performs engineering for commissioning procedures and participates in on-site commissioning activities for assigned projects
- Prepares project forecast for engineering, tracks progress, updates as needed, and provides periodic updates
- Provides to design and contractor team members, and reviews design and technical documents. Coordinating with other lines of business ensures designs and technical documents meet appropriate criteria, quality, and job scope
- Recommends revisions to existing drawings for routine projects
- Specifies long-lead time material for assigned projects
- Under direction, reviews and approves project material procurement list, vendor drawings, equipment specification updates, and engineering material requests
- Lead or participates in periodic design review meetings
- Coordinates project activities with other disciplines for routine projects
- Under direction, provides construction support and evaluates and makes recommendations to resolve field construction problems
- Participates in PHA (Process Hazard Analysis) & PSSR (Pre Startup Safety Review)
- Supports process improvement initiatives and other special projects
- Support Maintenance & Operations Group once facility has been commissioned
- Prepares written technical documents such as design criteria, specifications, operations and maintenance instructions, commissioning procedures, strength test pressure report, and various technical reports or evaluations
- Oversees completion and recording of all engineering record documents
- Mentor other less experienced engineers
- Assist in development of design standards and new processes, procedures and tools
- Provides technical expertise and performs engineering analyses, studies, and develops conceptual and detail designs
- Presents findings to internal organizations, contractors and outside vendors
- Conducts walk-downs and design review meetings
- Solicits, prepares, and evaluates contracts and proposals from engineering consultants. Reviews consultant contracts for technical compliance and reviews the work of consultant and contract engineers
- Interprets and applies applicable codes and regulations
- Participates in the development of clearance procedures
- Assists in root cause analysis
- Approves reports, new drawings, and revisions to existing drawings for projects
- Evaluate innovative and practical design solutions for the project with a focus on cost reductions, safety and reliability
- Performs engineering for commissioning procedures and participates in on-site commissioning activities for more advanced facilities
- With appropriate training, may lead low complexity PHA’s and PSSRs for assigned projects
Resolves problems of moderate scope. Assignments typically require standard solutions. Under general direction, independently plans work to meet assigned objectives; progress is reviewed periodically for technical accuracy and adequacy in process and upon completion.
External contacts are primarily coordinating with contractors and vendors. Internal contacts are with clients and project team members. May guide the work of less experienced team members. Exchanges information with others outside the team. May partner to solve problems or explore alternative solutions.
- A 4-year BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited curriculum in the US, or the equivalent from outside of the US
- Mastery of the Associate level Engineer job duties or equivalent and demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform the basic duties of the Journey Level Engineer. Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of three years of cumulative and relevant experience in engineering and design
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Current and active California PE license
- Able to apply basic engineering principles and theory
- Prioritizes, plans, and recommends solutions for routine projects
- Effectively communicates both written and orally
- Approaches and plans work in an organized manner to meet project commitments
- Demonstrates good judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Frequently shows initiative and takes action proactively
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple large scale and complex projects without supervision
- Demonstrate good presentation skills including knowledge transfer presentations
- Ability to serve as the leader for an engineering team including outside contractors
- Complete assignments of broad scope and complexity
- Ability to integrate information from a variety of sources
- Ability to lead process improvement initiatives