Autonomy is one of the leading technological advances of this century that will come to impact our lives. The work you'll do at Applied will meaningfully accelerate the efforts of the top autonomy teams in the world. At Applied, you will have a unique perspective on the development of cutting-edge technology while working with major players across the industry and the globe.
Applied Intuition provides software solutions to safely develop, test, and deploy autonomous vehicles at scale. The company's suite of simulation, validation, and drive log management software enables development teams to create thousands of scenarios in minutes, run simulations at scale, and verify and validate algorithms for production deployment. Headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Munich, Stockholm, Seoul, and Tokyo, Applied consists of software, robotics, and automotive experts with experiences from top global companies. Leading autonomy programs and 17 of the top 20 global OEMs use Applied's solutions to bring autonomy to market faster.
About the Role
As an Environment Artist at Applied, you support the company in creation of virtual worlds for Autonomous Vehicles to interact with. Your role will be to create assets at the highest standards of visual fidelity to be used in our environments. You will focus on the ability for them to be flexible, variable, and photo-realistic. We expect you to be able to independently conceptualize, create, and finish in-engine assets. You will define standards for other artists to use, including collecting references, modeling, texturing, and crafting the final materials.
At Applied you will:
* Create a library of accurate 3D models for objects encountered during normal driving scenarios
* Create a library of PBR materials and textures that enable variation and reuse
* Work closely with simulation engineers to ensure generated models provide sufficient fidelity for simulation
* Utilize models to create both procedural and real world geometries for use during simulation
We're looking for someone who has:
* Expertise with a 3D modeling tool (eg. Maya) and a sculpting tool (Zbrush, mudbox)
* Thorough understanding of normalmap baking and equivalents at the level of a professional quality texture artist
* Experience with Unreal/Frostbite or other AAA engines
* Good understanding of PBR literature and light propagation mechanics
Nice to have:
* Houdini experience
* Prior experience in creating virtual worlds for AV simulation
* Expertise in photogrammetry and similar approaches to recreate environments
Don't meet every single requirement? If you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Applicants will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal and state law. Applicants should be aware that for external-facing roles that involve close contact with Company employees or other third parties on the Company's premises, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. The Company will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis taking into account the particular position.