Bloom Energy faces unprecedented opportunities to change the world and the way energy is generated and delivered. Our mission is to make clean, reliable energy affordable globally.
We are looking for a Director, Western Regulatory Law to join our team advance some of today's most exciting energy technologies, and to help the company achieve continued success in the most dynamic and high-profile energy markets. This position will bring legal and regulatory expertise to help Bloom Energy achieve success through interpreting, maintaining and expanding energy and environmental regulatory schemes compatible with Bloom Energy's current and future business objectives. Bloom's Director, Western Regulatory Law will report to the VP, Regulatory Law, and will be based in San Jose, California.
The Director will provide legal representation to Bloom Energy on Western energy and environmental law issues, including legal advice, analyses, and oral and written advocacy on Western energy and environmental law issues. The role will require advocating before state regulatory, energy policy and environmental agencies, focusing primarily on California, but may also involve advocating before federal energy and environmental agencies. The Director will develop, draft and negotiate energy and environmental regulatory positions, comments, pleadings and other filings, and will provide legal and regulatory counsel to internal clients on energy and environmental regulatory matters. This position will primarily support the government affairs and business development teams within Bloom Energy, partnering with these and other teams to maintain, develop, and expand the energy and environmental regulations and policies that support the deployment of Bloom Energy products and services worldwide.
The right candidate must be ready and able to join a team of experts, work in a collaborative environment, and effectively manage the demands of multiple simultaneous projects. The candidate will be an experienced regulatory lawyer with substantial energy law expertise in California, and preferably in other Western states as well. Candidates must be highly effective advocates, with a demonstrated ability to achieve regulatory success by working cooperatively with decision makers, regulators, and stakeholders whenever possible, and by pursuing regulatory and judicial litigation whenever necessary. The role will require a significant understanding of the issues, agencies and stakeholders involved in Western energy law. Candidates ideally will also have regulatory environmental law expertise, and a working knowledge of Western environmental agencies, issues and stakeholders.
The Director must effectively interface with executive management and company staff to identify and further company interests. Candidates must have experience in conveying complex legal issues to non-legal executives and staff clearly and efficiently. Excellent oral and written communication skills will be a necessity.
Bloom's Energy Server, delivers highly reliable and resilient, always-on electric power that is clean, cost-effective, and ideal for micro grid applications. We are helping companies power their primary business without disruption or combustion. Bloom's Electrolyzer leads the industry in producing hydrogen with high efficiency and least cost. Our customers include leading manufacturers, data centers, healthcare providers, retail, colleges, and others requiring exceptionally reliable and resilient power. For more information, visit www.bloomenergy.com .
Location: San Jose, California
Role and Responsibilities
- Represent Bloom before California energy & environmental regulatory bodies, as well as those of other Western states.
- Support internal clients seeking to advance Bloom's business objectives by identifying California and Western regulatory legal issues and potential solutions, providing policy and regulatory analyses as well as strategic and practical legal advice.
- Manage California and other Western state regulatory processes, including monitoring regulatory developments, defining regulatory strategy, and drafting and submitting regulatory pleadings, filings, and comments.
- Lead energy and environmental regulatory negotiations in California and Western jurisdictions, including developing collaborative proposals as well as drafting and negotiating regulatory settlements and other regulatory agreements, drafting proposed legislative and policy language, and developing pragmatic and effective regulatory solutions.
- Draft transactional, correspondence and presentation language respecting energy and environmental regulatory issues, and develop pragmatic and effective solutions to those issues.
- Contribute to messaging materials related to energy and environmental regulatory matters, including presentations to senior government officials; clients, investors and partners; and regulatory stakeholders.
- Provide legal advice to Bloom Government Affairs, Business Development, Legal and other teams on energy and environmental regulatory law matters.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with external stakeholders and policy makers on energy and environmental regulatory matters.
- Undertake other projects as required as part of a small legal team.
Skills & Experience
- Degree in Law (JD / LLB) from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the California Bar.
- 10 or more years of legal experience as an energy regulatory attorney; environmental regulatory experience, in-house experience in a technology/energy company, and transactional experience are pluses.
- Exceptional writing, communication, negotiation and presentation skills, including the ability to portray complex concepts to diverse audiences.
- Background in working regulatory body commissioners, senior officials, legal and other staff, as well as senior officials, legal and other staff of energy companies and energy investors.
- Demonstrated understanding of energy law and regulatory processes, dynamics, thought leaders and stakeholders, with understanding of environmental law equivalents a plus.
- Able to thrive in a dynamic environment and grow and adapt as Bloom Energy grows.
- Comfortable with gray areas, interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts, and developing creative solutions to novel issues in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Ability and drive to take ownership of projects and tasks and work independently.
- Ability to independently raise questions, investigate decisions and develop solutions to maintain Bloom's culture of business integrity.
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible and willing to approach legal challenges with an entrepreneurial mindset.
About Bloom Energy
At Bloom Energy, we strive toward a 100% renewable future. Our Energy Servers are adaptable to new and innovative fuels while already acting as a cleaner and far more resilient source of power than existing solutions. Bloom Energy fuel cells and electrolyzers will be the industry standard for clean, efficient, and reliable energy and hydrogen production. We work in concert with other energy technologies to change the way energy is produced, stored, transmitted, and used across the world. For more information visit: www.bloomenergy.com.
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result