Pacific Biosciences is seeking a talented, driven and experienced individual to join the SMRT cell R&D team working on next generation devices. The candidate needs to have a passion for Pacific Biosciences technology and mission. Their central focus will be to lead projects in sensor design, fabrication and test, for next generation DNA sequencing and other applications. The candidate will be required to lead and/or participate in complex development projects ranging from selecting sensor designs and fabs, developing novel pixel architectures and processes, solving yield issues and qualifying processes for a full product release with design and fab partners. The candidate must have an appetite for solving complex problems requiring evaluation of intangible factors and must be very comfortable in a multi-disciplinary environment. In addition, they will also be expected to travel as-needed for managing projects, once conditions allow, to sensor foundry and design partner sites per Pacific Biosciences roadmap.
- Development and Ownership of the Sensor Technology Roadmap
- Define sensor specifications with design and foundry partners for pixel, analog circuitry, on-chip image signal processing, fabrication process and optoelectronic performance
- Determine cost/performance targets for CMOS while weighing trade-offs between various design and process parameters
- Collaborate with Photonic Design, Instrument Hardware & Software, Fab, Packaging and System Engineers to define device targets, refine optical models, and optimize critical layout constrained Design Rules
- Design and develop all required sensor and optical system characterization capability, including test fixtures, precision characterization setups, both for development and for use during manufacturing
- Drive sensor development project with sensor design and foundry partners
- Define, identify and document appropriate set of design and process parameters for high yield and volume manufacturability
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- 10+ years of industry experience with a Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Astronomy, or related fields
- Demonstrated experience leading CMOS image sensor development projects with design & foundry partners
- Extensive experience with CMOS sensor design, fab processes, hardware integration and software algorithms, having taken CCD/CMOS sensor development from design through to production
- Deep understanding of semiconductor device physics and Optoelectronic device design
- Familiarity with mixed signal building blocks (A/D, D/A, high speed clocking techniques etc.)
- Familiarity with sensor characterization, calibration and high throughput testing
- Proficiency with layout tools (e.g. Cadence), TCAD and circuit simulation tools (Hspice, Silvaco etc.), Matlab
- Recent experience with low noise sensors, especially used in low light imaging applications is a plus
- Experience with leading and growing R&D teams is a plus
- Ability to travel 10-20% of their time once conditions allow
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.