Requisition ID # 89321
Job Category : Information Technology
Job Level : Director/Chief
Business Unit: Information Technology
The Information Technology (IT) organization designs, develops, operates and maintains the technology and telecommunications systems that enable PG&E to meet its commitment to providing safe, reliable and affordable service to customers.
IT supports the business by improving service quality, increasing capabilities through the development of additional functionality, implementing new technologies, reducing costs, increasing productivity, and facilitating organizational and business effectiveness through enabling technologies
The Director, Grid Technology IT Systems has accountability for IT strategy and planning, development, delivery and support for all applications within Electric Grid and Gas Pipeline Technologies (i.e., Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS), Distribution Management System, Outage Management System, Gas Control Center). The Director manages a team responsible for IT solution strategy and planning, business architecture, requirements definition and management, project management, application development, testing/quality assurance, production and support. The Director builds and maintains relationships with Business Unit partners for business requirements, issues resolution and sustained overall customer satisfaction. This role serves as the Technology partner on the Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS) and Grid Modernization partnering closely with the Electric Operations ADMS Business Leader. This position reports into the Senior Director of Business Technology.
- Provides leadership for the design, development, deployment and support of Grid Technology and Gas Pipeline solutions required for PG&E Electric and Gas operations to achieve its objectives.
- Acts as the Senior Technology Leader working closely with the ADMS Program Manager on the Integrated Grid Platform program scope, management, requirements, execution, and development of strategic plans.
- Acts as a liaison between the IT organization, business partners and other stakeholders
- Aligns and manages the execution of a technology roadmap(s).
- Conducts analysis of asset deployment, use and acquisition, and disposal of non-performing assets.
- Evaluates and assesses risk as part of the lifecycle analysis of portfolio components.
- Defines or refines metrics that will demonstrate the positive impact of IT portfolio management on the business.
- Recommends and implements plans to optimize IT Investment which may include reducing and containing IT costs and enhancing business capabilities to increase customer satisfaction.
- Identifies opportunities to make IT and business processes more effective and efficient. Manages the implementation of improvement initiatives.
- Ensures compliance to PG&E standards/regulations and governance processes.
- Directs teams of technical, professional and management staff in the successful fulfillment of IT development and service delivery commitments.
- Establishes individual and organizational objectives that are aligned with organization goals. Implements PG&E practices for staffing, EEO, diversity, performance management, development, reward and recognition, and retention.
- Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives.
- Partners with IT and business leadership and other key stakeholders to define opportunities and prioritize projects based on predefined criteria (return on investment, productivity, compliance).
- Ensures service level agreements are met or exceeded.
- Regularly briefs senior IT and business management on portfolio performances.
- Obtains approval from business partners on IT strategy and plan for Grid Technology Systems supporting the PG&E Customer Care business.
- Provides strategy, planning and leadership for the design, development, deployment and support of Grid Technology solutions required for PG&E Electric and Gas Operations to achieve its objectives.
- Provides knowledge of industry trends and technology as it relates to specific opportunities where technology can enhance the value to the Electric and Gas business.
- Identifies and presents opportunities to senior IT and business management for applying developments in technology to the challenges faced by the business.
- Assists the CIO and senior IT and business management in developing, executing and communicating the IT-business vision, mission and goals.
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, business administration, engineering, or other relevant field or equivalent years of work experience
- 10 years of information technology experience to include at least two years in a leadership role
- Experience in an electric utility
- Experience with Grid Operation technologies, preferably ADMS
- Experience with Application Development and Agile Software Development
- Expertise in Smart Grid infrastructure & associated technologies/applications
- Experience leading complex and large-scale technical projects that impact multiple lines of business
- Experience incorporating technology (e.g. IED's, Communication, Software, etc.) that is applied to the electric distribution system into the ADMS/SCADA
- Demonstrated success as a change agent leading significant transformational initiatives in highly complex, matrixed organizations
- Previous Director level experience with significant achievements in a demanding, rapidly changing environment