Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the worlds communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving peoples ability to move whether for work or play.
What we do:
Corporate Counsel is the advisor to the company on a wide variety of employee relations (ER) issues. The position is responsible for representing the company in various types of employment claims. The attorney works in a highly collaborative manner to effectively advise leadership and HR Business Partners (HRBPs) on complex employee relations matters, including investigations, policy options, and developing and leading litigation strategies.
What you can do:
- Responds to employee relations issues according to applicable laws, as well as relevant company policy
- Ensures that legal and regulatory requirements are met to minimize risk and exposure to liability for the organization
- Anticipates and identifies complex issues presented by management and/or employees
- Analyzes all risks presented and develops recommendations for coordinated human resource solutions
- Facilitates resolution of employee concerns, including negotiation of formal settlement agreements
- Responds to and defends government claims (i.e., EEOC charges, wage and hour investigations, etc.)
- Responds to current and former employee complaints presented through private attorneys
- Assists with investigations and multi-forum complaints and grievance matters, including Whistleblower/Internal Audit, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX, and coordinates with internal and external resources on litigation and pre-litigation matters
- Assists counsel with all phases of litigation coordination, including development of strategic direction of the case and settlement strategies
- Produces discovery documents and acts as liaison with company witnesses
- Participates as corporate representative / witness in mediations, hearings and trials
- Formulates and manages litigation strategy
- Occasional out-of-town overnight travel to attend mediations and trials and as otherwise may be necessary
- Other relevant duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- Solid undergraduate and law school academic credentials
- Juris Doctor (JD) Degree and experience as an attorney
- A minimum of ten (10) years of targeted experience and knowledge of labor/employment law, including applicable state and federal laws, court decisions regarding employment related matters
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations
- Advanced knowledge of ER function and other subject areas of human resources
- Advanced knowledge of organization policies and procedures; excellent understanding of functional area and how work affects other areas in Human Resources and the organization
- Demonstrated skills to provide guidance and support to HRBPs
- Demonstrated skills and abilities in leading management in the areas of conflict and change management.
- Proven ability to exercise excellent judgment
- Understanding of the principles related to management, supervision and leadership to provide expert level advice and counsel.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed, perhaps as much as 10-15% of time in some periods
- In-house or law firm experience a must
- Excellent knowledge of employment laws and civil litigation practice
- Ability to work and collaborate well with other attorneys and paralegals in a fast-paced environment
You may also be able to contribute:
- Expertise in California employment law
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernals receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.