Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Santa Clara, California currently has an opportunity for an Associate Scientist – 2nd Shift.
This is a 2nd shift opening; hours are 3:30pm – 12:00am PT. Training will occur on day shift.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Associate Scientist – 2nd Shift conducts research utilizing multiple experimental techniques. The incumbent investigates and develops new procedures under the guidance of a research scientist, project coordinator, or R&D Manager
• Perform daily lab routines such as quality control, maintenance and other related tasks on a hematology analyzer.
• Support verification on instruments under development by running CLSI based test protocols.
• Responsible to follow Hematology Laboratories procedures for specimen handling, processing, test analyses, and reporting of results.
• Document all study results using good documentation practices.
• Perform, review, and document laboratory quality control procedures and preventive routine maintenance.
• Assist with inventory and supply management of laboratory.
• Participate in research, development and implementation of laboratory procedures, as requested.
• Interacts with other groups and shares information; participates in team activities.
• Implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
• Understands and consistently follows documented procedures. Plans and executes assigned projects.
• Applies quantitative methods: analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and provides/implements process or document improvements.
• Executes experiments; participates in experimental design.
• May assist in the design of experiments for others.
• Actively uses the appropriate resources to conduct literature searches.
• Applies basic computer skills (includes word processing, spreadsheets, instrumentation-related and Abbott network systems). Produces reports and documents utilizing advanced writing skills.
• Recognizes and resolves technical problems.Prepares and delivers presentations of study results to others; presents data to larger and more diverse audiences.
• Participates in project planning and updates.
• Prepares and aligns goals with manager's goals.
• Develop and maintain internal and external customer contacts to maintain technical knowledge as required to accomplish job objectives.Recommends and evaluates experimental design options for complex experimental problems.Establishes project goals and implementation plans.
• Maintains appropriate documentation so that information and materials are traceable and processes are transferable.
• Modifies work procedures to meet current ADD quality and regulatory requirements.
• Experiments with new approaches appropriate for new or changed situations.
• Exchanges information with appropriate frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and to promote cross-functional collaboration.
• Delivers pertinent information via the correct medium (written, oral, electronic). Listens actively to acquire information; asks investigative questions.
• Takes thoughtful, yet timely, action when confronted with a problem or when made aware of a situation.
• Takes action that goes beyond job requirements in order to achieve objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
• Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
• Ph.D. in a life or physical science; Or B.S. in a life or physical science with 4+ years related lab/industrial experience; Or M.S. with 2+ years relevant experience.
• Hematology or academic lab experience with emphasis on contriving whole blood specimens preferred
• Experience in a clinical laboratory setting maintaining and running diagnostic medical equipment preferred
• CLS or MLT (ASCP) licensed preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career.
• Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
• Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
• Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
• Paid time off
• 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
• The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.