Montalvo Arts Center is a multidisciplinary organization, located on a historic, 175-acre, public park in the Santa Cruz foothills in the heart of the Silicon Valley.
Montalvo Arts Center is seeking an Accountant to perform all standard accounting and A/P functions for the organization and provide support to the Chief Financial Officer. The Accountant also serves as the organization’s purchasing agent for office supplies.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain thorough and accurate financial records, including full responsibility for accounts payable and
1099 reporting. Responsible for effectively researching and problem-solving issues and discrepancies
- Prepare month end close activities as assigned including journal entries, account reconciliations, accruals,
schedules and reports.
- Assist CFO and HR Director as needed. Provide backup support for HR administration in their absence, such
as payroll processing
- Record all cash receipts and weekly bank deposits. Responsible for accurate accounting for event concession
revenue, including cash deposits
- Provide feedback to the Accounting team on suggested process improvements and support improvement
- Assist in weekly cash forecasting
- Maintain files, including filing of general ledger journal vouchers, accounts payable documentation, and
other miscellaneous filings
- Prepare audit schedules and assist in annual audit and tax preparation
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and Montalvo’s policies, procedures,
internal controls and contracts
- Inventory and order basic office supplies for organization
- Cross-train on payroll systems and software
- Keep management informed of any significant accounting problems or internal control issues in the
- Assist in preparing for Finance & Audit Committee Meetings
- Complete special projects and miscellaneous assignments as required
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent work experience
- Three to five years of relevant experience and proven ability with accounting systems, databases and
Microsoft Office programs required (Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge software not required but a definite plus
- Experience with ADP Payroll System not required but a definite plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment, and with all organizational staff, volunteers, trustees,
community members, vendors and park visitors.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently and make sound decisions, without close supervision.
Working Conditions & Physical Tasks:
Typical office environment; requires the ability to remain seated at a computer workstation for extended periods. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to type, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
To apply, please submit a cover letter summarizing your skills and experience related to the position, and your resume. Resumes without cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls about the position, please. Position is open until filled. Applications will be screened for qualifications and experience. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be offered an interview.
Montalvo Arts Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants who contribute to the diversity of our organization are encouraged to apply.
Montalvo Arts Center requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as required by law. Any employment offer will be contingent upon satisfactory proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law.